Aiptasia I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superman1950s

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a new piece of LR at my LFS and, well.... I think I have some aiptasia. My setup is FOWLR, so the part about damaging corals im not really worried. I just hope it does not do any damage to my tank. Here are some pics.

img_1611624_0_fe562b77d10464063e1877c6347a4743.jpg

img_1611624_1_f3b1f01a05645053c25e4e2adbbdfb9c.jpg

This is the largest piece I have. I do have about 4-5 more smaller ones on other pieces of LR. I'm new to saltwater so I'm still learning as I go.

Thanks,

they will not hurt your tank. they are anemones that happen to be brown and spread quickly. if they were better looking, people would be buying them from the LFS.

mr_X said:
they will not hurt your tank. they are anemones that happen to be brown and spread quickly. if they were better looking, people would be buying them from the LFS.

And **** near imposable to kill lol. I don't like the look of them so I try and kill them as I see them come up. I first hit them with lemon juice, if that dose not work boiling hot water takes care of them. (be very careful when using the boiling hot water) I only recommend this after all pumps are shut off and I only use very very little boiling water.

Definitely ap. use aiptasia x or peppermint shrimp. Aip x would work well when they r that accessible

Not trying to thread jack but, what is the "worse" thing to happen if I don't treat mine? I plan on just doing some anenomes and smaller lps. Nothing super expensive. No coral but I just don't want to totally make my tank look like crap....

Thanks all,

Travis

I just got mine under control, I used aptasia-x it wrked good & it ads a bit of good calcium to the water, it's also kinda fun hunting them. Use as lil as possible tho so u don't wreck ur PH. Why: they compete w/ other more desireable tank mates,other anemones & ur other clean up crew, they sting & stress crustaceans & fish unlike many other anemoes.

I can only comment from my own PERSONAL experience, hence this is not to say it WILL work for EVERYBODY, but when I put together my last tank I got a piece of live rock with 6-8 aiptasia on. Added 1 peppermint shrimp, in less than a week they were all gone. I even got up in the middle of the night to witness said shrimp ripping one apart and devouring it rather delightfully.

They were large examples too, bigger than the shrimp in a couple of cases.

People may say they don't eat big ones, but mine did, only to be consumed by my fuzzy dwarf lion a few weeks later.

So sad....

I can only comment from my own PERSONAL experience, hence this is not to say it WILL work for EVERYBODY, but when I put together my last tank I got a piece of live rock with 6-8 aiptasia on. Added 1 peppermint shrimp, in less than a week they were all gone. I even got up in the middle of the night to witness said shrimp ripping one apart and devouring it rather delightfully.

They were large examples too, bigger than the shrimp in a couple of cases.

People may say they don't eat big ones, but mine did, only to be consumed by my fuzzy dwarf lion a few weeks later.

So sad....

I've heard that. The only thing is, there are two types of aiptasia. The shrimp will only eat one type.

I have used peppermint shrimps in the past and they have done a Beautiful job. But your looks to be big, and peppermint shrimps don't eat the big ones,

Most .....well EVERYBODY that I know gets rid of them, they are known to eat your corals,clownfish and anything else they get a hold of when they are big.
But it's up to you lol .

Aiptasia uses up good resources to strangle good reef life. And it looks like a pariah.

I will also try the peppermint shrimp. I have alot of small ones. I think he will have a nice buffet for awhile. But for the larger ones I'll be using aip-x on them. My lfs showed me how to use it on some LR they had. So I have a good idea of how it works.

Good news....aip is gone for now. I used aip-x and worked great. I'll be watching over the next week for respawn.

Back
Top Bottom