aiptasia or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
what are these little brown anenomes. It doesnt look like the two types of aiptasia ive seen before, but who knows. they seem to move around the tank and spread pretty well. my peppermints wont even look at them.

just as bad as aiptasia, and should be treated as such
Do to them as you would aiptasia. Make a kalk paste with calcium hydroxide (aka kalkwasser) and squirt it in them with a hypodermic without the needle. The concentrated kalk will coagulate in the water so lay a big dollop on top of the beast and it will shrivel and (hopefully) die. Biweekly treatments may be necessary to completely eradicate them.

Mark

If you happen to know somebody that has diabetes. See if they will give you a syringe with the needle and becareful with it and put some liquid calcium in the syringe and it directly inject it into the anenome mine all died with one treatment. Just be advised it is illegal for you to have the needle and have the needle disposed of properly

i have been injecting those things and ive only managed to kill one out of about 20. im starting to loose hope.

The way we do it is we look for the hole the aptasia will go in and then I hold the rock and my wife injects the aptasia in its hole with the calcium. Maybe we are lucky but we are batting 100%

injecting the anemone

Hmmm...I don't know how to kill the darn things. I was curious if you were injecting them with a needle or not? Things may be different in Ga, but here you can go to the farm co-op and buy syringes...no problem. We usually vaccinate our animals here instead of paying the vet mega$'s to come do it. You might try that as a source for a needle to inject the calcium into these things?
Logan J

By Federal Law, it is unlawful to sell or purchase syringes without a prescription. Even with Diabetics, they can get the insulin without a prescription, but the can't get the needles without a prescription.

Actually I need to correct my last post. It is unlawful to purchase syringes without a prescription and sell them without a license. I'm not saying it isn't done, but legally it's considered a prescription item.

that would be for human use. You can legally get needles and syringes at any farm supply/feed store without a permit or license. You can do the same thing whenever you buy pet vaccines from a catalogue. You can purchase virtually any shape or size of both needles and syringes.

Hi guys,

Just a thought.

If syringes are hard to acquire, would it be possible to use one of the syringes that you get in an inkjet re-inking kit ?

I know that they are much larger in diameter with a larger hole but that may help depending on the viscosity of the substance that you are injecting.

Like I said it doesn't mean everyone abides by the Law. I work in pharmaceuticals and I have to study Pharmacy Law on a regular basis To keep up my national certification. The reason for these Federal Laws is to stop these items from getting into the wrong hands. They also sell needles to refill ink cartridges, but it still doesn't mean it's legal.

honestly, no offence, but its not the needle im worried about, its how do kill those gosh darn manjanos. so far this method is unsuccessful, any other suggestions.

There are NO laws against an animal supply to sell these items.
The laws are different as regards to farm use.
People that sell them are NOT breaking the law, nor are people who purchase them.
Some would possibly take offense by you telling them they are lawbreakers as well.

You could use the needles you get from ink cartridge replacement, The needle might be a little big, but it should work. The finer the needle the more successful the treatment

the point i have made is.....i have already tryed injecting them. i was wondering if there were any alternatives considering this specific method has not worked for me :bad-words:

could some one give me a specific or scientific name of the anenome that is pictured at the beginning of this thread. that will help me research it.

fishfreek and reefrunner i could really use your expertese on this on seeing how ive got tons of info on needles and very little on how to accually remove this nuisance anenome that is spreading like wild fire in my 100 gallon reef.

Back
Top Bottom