Aiptasia?? Please NO!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure looks like one to me. If you'll look in my gallery, I have a pic of an aip posted that you can compare too.

Aww H E double hockey sticks. He's a big one. I guess I'll have to get a couple of peppermint shrimp to gobble him up. :twisted:

Good luck on those shrimp. You realize there are two (at least) types of peppermint shrimp that are close to being identical. One eats 'em the other doesn't. I have the info somewhere, I'll try and find it to post unless someone beats me to it.
If (when) that fail to get rid of them, you can do what the rest of us do and battle them with kalk paste. I've had them ever since I started this hobby way back when.

Yup, Kalk that little bugger. Or get some JoesJuice and nuke him. Only thing is once you have them, you can never get rid of them, sigh. :?

get ahold of logan at captive reefs and have him hook you up with some joes juice works great!!

OK found it!
"Lysmata rathbunae is found off eastern Florida (as opposed to the largely Carribean/Gulf L. wurdemanni). About the only external difference between the two is tail-fan patterning, and that is subtle. I have a picture of 1 of each species next to each other and in that context, the differences are quite apparent, but in an LFS it would be difficult to tell. Basically L. rathbunae has a darker tail fan, with no visible striping, and a darker, more opaque body. L. rathbunae has no interest whatsoever in Aiptasia in my experience. I am not a taxonomist, and these are my lay interpretations of readings on the subject, as well as personal experience watching both varieties (or what I think are both varieties) in my tanks.

True L. wurdemanni has always eaten Aiptasia IME, but it is fairly localized to their territory (about 1sq foot), so you need enough shrimp to cover the tank. It is reasonable to suspect that anything that will eat one Cnidarian will eat others as well, and their have been reports of L wurdemanni eating coral. I've not seen that, but I have never kept SPS much.

I believe much of the debate on their abilities is simply mis-identification (or overly well-fed shrimp -- they do not prefer Aiptasia over other more readily available foods). L. rathbunae are quite common in the trade, as they are collected in lobster traps in droves.

Tank raised L. wurdemanni are now available commercially via ORA. It would be nice if they grow them out on Aiptasia, but I doubt it."

Taken without permission from:
http://www.reefs.org/library/article/hopkins_redfield.html

I ordered Joe's Juice from Logan @ Capive Raised Corals, and it worked great. The picture of the one above was the only one when I ordered it. When I got the Juice in, I had to kill 5 of those little buggers (all about the same size as that one). After being hit with the Juice all were D.R.T. :twisted:

high saline injection I have been told this works I quess I have 4 2 big one small in my QT I have one inside a hole in a huge troch snail shell. He may be tube though how would i tell.

apitasia's

everyone tells me they have powerfull stings and spread easily overwheelming tanks, and can even kill corals. I had 3 now 7 in 30 days dont touch them, they will spread, I allowed 3 to live

everyone here recommend joe's juice, however my lfs says get pickling lime heat up to disolve with water from tank use syringe and squirt, or inject with high saline.

I added some peppermints first. They took care of the little ones. I thought I had more aptaisia in my tank, so I got some Joe's Juice. When I went to apply I only had the two larger ones left. It wiped them out instantly. Now I'm wondering what to do with the extra juice.

Back
Top Bottom