Algae ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, this patch of algae that I have started out looking like a kind of dirty spot on the sand, and I thought I just needed to get some snails to sift the sand, but now it's turned into a patch of algae that's kind of long and wispy, kind of like hair, and an almost purple-black sort of color. Any ideas what it is?

Attachments

• image-273211182.jpg
    image-273211182.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2207367854.jpg
    image-2207367854.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1063493859.jpg
    image-1063493859.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 72
Cyano. They form when there is high nutrients available in the water. They are also photosynthetic so light helps them to grow and spread. Temporarily reduce you light and increase water changes. Maybe apply more water flow in the areas. This are temporary solutions until you figure out the problem

Okay. Yeah, it really seemed to grow a lot when the light accidentally got left on all weekend while I was at my dad's house :/ before that it was just a dark spot.

I had the same problem I vacuumed lightly on the sand bed and got most of it turned my lights off for 3 days did 2 water changes and it died off I also changed from 12 hours of light to 8 and it died off

Okay, thanks. :) ill have to try some water changes. I haven't had time yet. Teachers seem to think that we have no social lives and need tons of homework to fill our time, lol

Back
Top Bottom