Algea: from green to brown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We've had some green algea on our LS (for about 2 weks now, best guess). We've been taking as much of it as we can off the sand bed with limited success. Now it looks like the algea is turning brown.

Is this normal? Is this something we should be concerned about?
We plan to get some conch snails & more hermits to help control the algea a little more but now that it's turning brown, is it too late?

the tank is:
29gal
31lbs LR
40lbs LS
two ZooMed oscilating PH (Powersweep model 214)
BakPak2R skimmer
approx 8-10 blue leg hermits
approx 9 various snails (Astrea & tiger)
3 turbo snails
pipe organ coral (one)
leather toadstool coral (one)
2 scooter blennies
2 TR percs
green brittle star (one, soon to be none..we're gonna get rid of him)

Now it looks like the algea is turning brown.

Is this normal? Is this something we should be concerned about?

The turning brown could be indicative of the algae dieing or it coulb be that another form of algae is taking over. Can we get a pic?

Boy it's wet out there, got home and see I need to post these here they are, the algae like I had posted before that was all over the sand was green, it is not like this now it is a brownish red color, it was not like this yesterday, we still plan on getting the conches and get rid of our green brittle star hopefully tomorrow night.

I've included two pics, the one that is green turning brown is the way it looked yesterday, this is taken in the back, it only seems to be in areas that get light, anything that is shaded by the light does not have any algae growing on it.

Hope these help.

red slime is a very prolific algae, that feeds on excess nutrients in the water. I would recommend cutting back on feeding, doing a water change (siphoning off as much as possible). Make sure your skimmer is working as efficiently as possible, make sure all your parameters are in line, and increase current across the sand bed.

Thanks Kevin.
We'll cut back on the feedings. Right now we're feeding the feather duster & corals every two days w/ zoo. It also happens that the percs like the zoo also. The regular feedings on the percs are alternating between flake & brine 3 times a day. We'll cut back to twice a day but still keep the duster & corals on the same schedule & see how that works for us.

Thanks again!

John

I thought I saw some gass-bubbles in there too.... might want to think about getting some more circulation as well. More circulation always helps control algae of that type.

Well good thing tomorrow is payday, looks like it's time for better powerheads and a plan on figuring out a circulation plan, maybe even rearrange the rocks some since we will be getting rid of the star. Yep there were bubbles on top even on the brown, I cleaned it all out though except the back which is really hard to get to. We have ZooMed powersweep powerheads right now that oscilate and have the sponges on them, should we not have the sponges? Can you recommend a better powerhead and set up? When you suggested circulation we looked at each other, we had our magnum HOT 250 empty just shooting water but I felt it looked to cluttered and when we took all the equipment out and cleaned it this last weekend the magnum used to shoot down the back of the tank, it was really a lot of current keeping the clowns moving all over the place.

Anyways as always thanks for everything!

I use Penguin 300 gph PH and they out preform the Zoo med by 100%

I also had zoomed. wish I never got them. I am very pleased with Penguin

Back
Top Bottom