Amphipod or baby mantis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fungus

Aquarium Advice Regular
After adding certain rocks from the LFS I began noticing amphipods. They multiplied rather quickly and look like the profile photo below with the black background.

There's a larger (9 mm) creature that looks similar to the others, except its antennae are longer (about 6mm) and I can see two large forelegs that resemble the characteristic mantis legs. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just wanted to make sure with y'all. I suppose the long chelipeds are not unique to mantis shrimp...

I apologize for the poor images. It's hard to get a good photo of it because it's small. But here are my best attempts of this mysterious shadowy figure. The coral frag next to it is about 3cm wide.

Attachments

• j41042.jpg
    j41042.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Amphipod_001.JPG
    Amphipod_001.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Amphipod_002.JPG
    Amphipod_002.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Amphipod_006.JPG
    Amphipod_006.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 110
I'm looking but I can't see anything in the shots. If it's that active during the daylight times for the lights I would wonder about it being a typical amphipod. All mine disappear during the day and you only see them at night.

You could try catching it with a net if it always hangs in the same place.

Thanks for the reply. I annotated the images for clarity. It's funny how the eye sees things that I know are there :)

Back
Top Bottom