anemone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmirtsching

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was moving some rock around in my tank and found this guy... he appears to be an anemone. He has a pale pinkish base, with clearish/whitish tenticles, with little white dots on the tenticles. What is he? I have tried the chucks addiction hitchhicker id with no luck. Please help. If I don't get any responses, I will remove the rock from my tank. Thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111219_170040.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111219_170040.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 156
  • ForumRunner_20111219_170203.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111219_170203.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 162
Kind of hard to tell. I had one that looks similar and Mr X identified it as pseudocorynactis and said it was harmless. Maybe google pictures and see if pseudocorynactis looks like yours HTH :)

I tried for abt 10 min to get a good pic and that was the best I could get. It does not seem to be hurting anything, I have no clue how long it had been there so I guess it can stay. Lol! I have another critter that needs identification. These guys are growing on some rock in another tank of mine. They almost remind me of aptasia, but their stalk does not retreat into the rock when touched, and the ends of them look like feather dusters. What do you think?

Well I thought I added the pics. Lol!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111219_175029.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111219_175029.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 140
  • ForumRunner_20111219_175045.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111219_175045.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 126
I have done some research and concluded that I do have a pseudocorynactis. Do I keep him or get rid of him? I've read mixed reviews. Some say get rid of and some say they are a good catch?? What do you think? And also what do you guys think abt the other critters I have growing? Aptasia or feather duster? Thanks!

I have kept my little hitch hicker anemone and haven't had any problems. Its hasnt grown much and is about the size of a pea. The other picture is hard to tell but it looks like those are hard tubes coming out of the rock. If it is, I would say its a feather duster or some other type of filter feeder

Thank you. They do seeem to be hard tubes. When they are touched, the heads retreat in and leave the tube, and the tubes are hard, so theys why I didn't think they were aptasia. You can not tell it in the pic, but it looks like there ate 30 or more of these tubes. I have found some stuff on google abt social feather dusters. I'm hoping that is what these are!

Juat a quick update. I added a cuc to the new tank, the one that had the feather duster looking things...well, whatever they were, my new hermits have seem to eat them, only a couple left...so I guess I will never know what they were...

the pseudocorynactis we see in our closed systems are harmless. you can keep it.
the second pic looks like colonial hydroids.

From what I found on google, they may be the colonial hydroids, but if they are, my cuc has ate and exterminated them.

Back
Top Bottom