anemone? corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmetcalf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all! I've got a few pics of a few different things in my new tank that came on the live rock. Anyone know what they are? The first two pics are the same, just from different angles.

THANKS!

Attachments

• anemone movingID.jpg
    anemone movingID.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 63
  • anemone frontID.jpg
    anemone frontID.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 54
  • redgreen mushroomID.jpg
    redgreen mushroomID.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 66
  • fingers.jpg
    fingers.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 54
#1/2 mushroom

#3 mushroom
#4 closed zoanthids or palys
All look a bit stressed and unhappy ..
What are your tank parameters and what is your lighting
How long ago did you get them ?

if they came on the lr she's using in the tank, they're probably going to be unhappy. The tank is probably cycling.

I'd have to agree. The first pictures look like closed mushrooms and the last looks like closed polyps.

All look a bit stressed and unhappy ..
What are your tank parameters and what is your lighting
How long ago did you get them ?

I got them 5 days ago, they're in rough shape because my tank in cycling. I'm doing water changes every few days, not sure what else to do to keep them alive..?

At this point it is moot and H20 changes may help ... But most of those are tough lil critters that tend to sneak in and make it generally tho you should not add corals or fish or inverts before the cycle is completed tho ... GL :D

Water changes while you are cycling are not the best idea. You are taking out the water that is cycling and replacing it with un-cycled water. Kinda like taking a step in the wrong direction. Id say if they make it great(they probably will) if they dont well... thats too bad.

It basically slows down the cycle.. but doesn't completely stop it. There is another thread here and the thread OP is going through the same situation. Has livestock, and their rock is making the tank cycle, so they have to keep doing water changes. This method will probably save your livestock, but will slow your cycle drastically. It is called "gentle cycling" or "slow cycling".

Regardless, if you do not even have the lights to support those mushrooms or polyps.. if that is what they are, then they are going to die anyways. And they will just add to your ammonia source for cycling.

"Taking out cycled water and replacing it with uncycled water." I thot it would be just the substates, decor, filter etc.

Not when you are cycling.. That is only correct after the tank has cycled, and beneficial bacteria has become established on the things like rock, sand, gravel, etc.. Your thinking of something different. Beneficial bacteria may not be in the water column, but when a tank is cycling.. things like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates ARE in the water column. Which means that you could get rid of those things by doing water changes..

Interestingly enough, i didn't think i had the lights to support the nifty stuff, but in the last 3 days the mushrooms and polyps have gotten way bigger that when i bought them. Is that a good thing?

Most likely they are trying to get light. Expanding surface area is one way, but without lighting, they will perish.

Back
Top Bottom