Anemone ID please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This nem is in my mothers tank and I was trying to find some information on it, but all the pics I can find of nems don't seem to match. Anyone have an idea of what type this is?
img_1104183_0_fb4a658bd1701b024dc2a4bba517548e.jpg

Thanks guys, how does it look to you? Does it look healthy? I don't have experience with these animals and since I've been helping maintain my mothers tank, it's been expanding alot more recently. She has also been hand feeding it dead feeder fish and was wondering if that was ok.

She has also been hand feeding it dead feeder fish and was wondering if that was ok.
I dont know about nems, but feeding dead feeders (or even live most of the time) in general is asking for trouble. they died for some reason, right? dont want that 'reason; to kill off your other fish.

I dont know about nems, but feeding dead feeders (or even live most of the time) in general is asking for trouble. they died for some reason, right? dont want that 'reason; to kill off your other fish.

I'll try that logic on her to get her to stop feeding it those things. I've been trying for months actually to get her to stop feeding her puffer them dang things but unfortunately it's not going to happen. The dead ones she gives the nem probably died due to ammonia poisoning from the 1 gallon tank she keeps her 10 feeder fish a week in. All in all just a bad situation, all brought on by a LFS.

Feeders can bring some nasty diseases in a tank. They are cramed in a tank and are not takin care of properly so that brings disease. Now weather or not the nem can catch them i have no clue BUT she can feed it silver sides or shrimp which are cheap as a subsitute. And also if she is feeding her puffers only feeders then they are not going to be healthy for long because it is only a matter of time before they catch a disease and on top of that a puffers mouth is a beak and need to be wore down. The do this naturally by eating snails and other crustaceans. This is a 100% crucial to there health.

Feeders can bring some nasty diseases in a tank. They are cramed in a tank and are not takin care of properly so that brings disease. Now weather or not the nem can catch them i have no clue BUT she can feed it silver sides or shrimp which are cheap as a subsitute. And also if she is feeding her puffers only feeders then they are not going to be healthy for long because it is only a matter of time before they catch a disease and on top of that a puffers mouth is a beak and need to be wore down. The do this naturally by eating snails and other crustaceans. This is a 100% crucial to there health.

I definitely agree with you and I've told my mother that tons of times. She is under the sway of the LFS who told her it's fine to feed only feeder fish.

you can feed the anemone fresh stuff from the super market. just buy a few shrimp or a small piece of fish and cut it up. this will last you for months and is much cheaper and cleaner than LFS foods.

Can you persuade her to swing through here or even read this thread?

Thanks again for the info guys, I got her to look at this thread and she said she is going to look into other foods for the nem and her puffer. Hopefully this will be the start of healthier feeding habits.

For the Anemone, Go buy white bait or squid.
I've had a few types of anemones in the past and most seem to thrive for squid. Feed once a week or near imo.

Back
Top Bottom