Anemone identification and clownfish issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erinprovins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have purchased a sea anemone about a month ago and it has settled in well. The only trouble is my clownfish want nothing to do with him. When purchased I was told he is a carpet anemone, but I a wanted to verify this since it was at a LFS and after settling in he looks kinda similar to a delicate sea anemone. I am including my tank parameters because everyone always asks 1st tank is over 1 1/2 years old, SG 1.024, temp 76, DKH 10, PH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, water flow is med. my clown fish are white striped maroon clownfish. I have included a pic to help identify the anemone.

Attachments

• image-3113360107.jpg
    image-3113360107.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1490509333.jpg
    image-1490509333.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 101
Unfortunately there's no guarantee an anemone will host a clown fish, regardless of what type.

Sorry here are the pics this time.

Attachments

• image-334460777.jpg
    image-334460777.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3674580477.jpg
    image-3674580477.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 74
Yes, that's a carpet. It needs some coloring up. It should take meaty foods. I would feed it a pea sized piece of fish or shrimp a couple times a week until it regains color.
Do you have sufficient lighting to keep an anemone?

I currently have a 220 watts for lighting and I feed him silversides. He was all white when I first got him. But now he has some green and purple in him but mainly still white. I also have added iodine daily and zooxanthellae every 4-5 days. He is about half way up the live rock. So I'm don't feel he's looking for more light, but he could be. Tank size is 65 gallon. I will be upgrading to a larger take when the remodel is done in the summer.

Stop adding iodine daily. Don't add anything you aren't testing for and are sure you need. There is plenty of whatever that anemone needs in your salt mix. If it's gaining color, it's headed in the right direction. You know that a carpet anemone will get the size of a trash can lid and can consume whole fish, and in many cases do, right?

I will stop with the iodine. I am planning on upgrading to about 150 gallon which I will have a custom closet built for the filtration equipment. He is currently about 6 to 7 inches wide so hopefully I'll have time for him to grow. Thank you so much for all your advise. As you can see I am new to the website and I'm great full for everything that I can learn.

Sorry and I am also aware that he can eat a regular fish beyond my silversides. I have not had that issue yet and hope to not have to. But am prepared to deal with it if it happens.

That actually looks to be a s. Gigantea carpet. The harder of the two large carpets to keep. I have one in my 150 he's about 18" across. I feed him silversides and also mysis shrimp(he seems to love mysis). Very cool anemones. Yours looks like he was under way to low lighting but starting to come back so best of luck. Also as was said hosting is never guaranteed. Your clowns may host a peice of coral and ignore the Nem completely

Back
Top Bottom