Anemone??? Worms??? Coral???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill0298

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, does anyone know what these things are?? This little anemone looking thing came in on some live rock that I just purchased from my LFS and on that same rock I have some small tube like things. Also, I have a small little white worm thing that has appeared on my existing rock :?:

Thanks...... :)

From top to bottom....

#1 Looks like it could be some sort of colonial poly but it's not that clear. If they open, take another pic.

#2 Looks like a peanut worm but it too blurry to make out any other features.

#3 If it where open a bit more I'd be more positive but it looks much like a Heteractis aurora, a beaded sea anemone. If so, very interesting coloration.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the info.... But....

#1 If they do open I will take another pic, but what if they don't.. Are they dead? Do I need to remove them??

#2 I looked up a peanut worm on the internet and yes, it appears to be a peanut worm.

#3 I will take another pic when the anemone opens more...

Thanks... :)

bill0298 said:
#1 If they do open I will take another pic, but what if they don't.. Are they dead? Do I need to remove them??
If they are polyps they will eventually open. They do not appear to be necrosing as yet. It's really going to depend on what stage the tank is at developement/cycle wise.
If this is a new tank and this is uncured LR, be sure to keep up with water changes and run the skimmer to help keep the ammonia and nitrites down. That will ensure most of your hithickers survive.

Need a bit more info about your tank to give you a better answer.

Cheers
Steve

My tank has been up and running approx 5 weeks. Most of the live rock has been in there since startup. Recently I added another eight pounds, which had these critters on it. All of the live rock that I have put in this tank was cured by my LFS before I purchased it. I'm not running a skimmer, should I be?

Tank 73 gal bow front
240w PC Lights
2 Penguin 330's

1 Yellow tang
1 Yellow tail damsel
1 Clown
1 3 stripe damsel
1 Goby

Ammonia 0.0 mg/l
Nitrite .01 mg/l
Nitrate 15 mg/l
PH 8.1
SG 1.022

Thanks...

bill0298 said:
I'm not running a skimmer, should I be?
As long as you keep up with regular water changes and mabye employing some other forms of export, no a skimmer is not a must. IME though they do help cut down on alot of water quality maintenance (but do not eliminate it).

Tank 73 gal bow front
You mean 72 :?:

240w PC Lights
How many bulbs is that? It's a bit on the low side for a full reef but most soft and some LPS should do fine.

2 Penguin 330's
Might want to augment that with another powerhead or two. The 660 GPH rating for the two combined is without media so your tanks water rotation is a bit low.

1 Yellow tang
1 Yellow tail damsel
1 Clown
1 3 stripe damsel
1 Goby
A little quick at 5 weeks. I would hold off on any more additions for a while to allow for the tanks biofilter to catch up. :wink:

Ammonia 0.0 mg/l
Nitrite .01 mg/l
Nitrate 15 mg/l
PH 8.1
SG 1.022
Keep an eye on that nitrite. Could be the fish additions but it should be zero at all times. The SG is a little low. 1.024-25 would be better at 80°, 35 ppt if using a refractometer. What time of day was the ph tested?

Cheers
Steev

You mean 72
I couldn't remember which it was. I knew it was either 72 or 73.
How many bulbs is that? It's a bit on the low side for a full reef but most soft and some LPS should do fine.
4 bulbs - 2 blue
Might want to augment that with another powerhead or two. The 660 GPH rating for the two combined is without media so your tanks water rotation is a bit low.
What do you recommend the GPH rating should be?
A little quick at 5 weeks. I would hold off on any more additions for a while to allow for the tanks biofilter to catch up.
Ammonia and nitrite were 0.0 before I added the last batch of LR. I'm guessing that a piece or two of the LR was not fully cured. The Tang was the last fish added approx 1 1/2 weeks ago.
The SG is a little low. 1.024-25 would be better at 80°, 35 ppt if using a refractometer. What time of day was the ph tested?
I tested the water around 10:00 pm. However, my PH was 8.3 prior to my last water change.. I didn't add any buffer to the water. My LFS scolded me for that. I'm adding buffer to get my levels (KH & PH) up... :)

bill0298 said:
What do you recommend the GPH rating should be?
10-15x GPH per tank size for a reef set up. Which with 260w PC lights you will be able to have a soft/LPS tank as said. I would actually add at least 2x900 Maxi-jets, preferabley the 2x1200's. The amount of flow you have now will lead to alot of problems in short time. Especially with ph and nuisance algaes.
A little quick at 5 weeks. I would hold off on any more additions for a while to allow for the tanks biofilter to catch up.
Ammonia and nitrite were 0.0 before I added the last batch of LR. I'm guessing that a piece or two of the LR was not fully cured. The Tang was the last fish added approx 1 1/2 weeks ago.
If you still have nitrite readings by the end of the week, I would remove the new rock and cure it seperately. With the fish load and age of the tank, I would be concerned about it's health.

The SG is a little low. 1.024-25 would be better at 80°, 35 ppt if using a refractometer. What time of day was the ph tested?
I tested the water around 10:00 pm. However, my PH was 8.3 prior to my last water change.. I didn't add any buffer to the water. My LFS scolded me for that. I'm adding buffer to get my levels (KH & PH) up... :)

The ph is a bit low for that time of day but the lower GPH might be part of the problem. If you have the tank covered with a glass lid, that will also contribute to the lower ph due to improper gas exchange. Adding buffer is okay to correct imbalances between alk/Ca but you are better off with balanced product additions for both Alk and CA like water changes, two part liquids or kalkwasser. If alk is low, it should be fixed no question, it's just deciding which works best. In the initial stages of most tanks, water changes would often be the easiest route.

Cheers
Steve

Coming in on this subject late, in regards to the very top picture posted, I too a lonog time ago, purchased a rock with these "nubbins" on them--took a year for me to see what they were. Now, years later, I have beautiful polyp colonies where there once was 3 "nubbins". I say not to worry--be patient and enjoy.

Stacy

#1 looks like small bubble algae with something else growing on the surface to me. The first time I got bubble algae I didn't recognize it because it was small and had some sort of film on it that made it totally opaque. Hard to tell, but a possibility.

Coming in on this subject late, in regards to the very top picture posted, I too a lonog time ago, purchased a rock with these "nubbins" on them--took a year for me to see what they were. Now, years later, I have beautiful polyp colonies where there once was 3 "nubbins". I say not to worry--be patient and enjoy.

Stacy, do you have any pics?

Thanks...

Yeah, I do have some pics of those. I can post a picture, but have to figure out how first, or I can email a pic. to you. I would like to post a link so everyone can see, but if you would like it sooner, private message me with your email address and I can send it immediately.

From the not-so computer literate,

Stacy

Back
Top Bottom