anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll try to get some of the smaller ones to attach to a smaller base than my new rock. I might be willing to send one out to see how well they survive shipping, but would need advice on how to ship it. I transplanted one off of the rock onto a conch shell and it took it a couple of days to re-attach.

I'll try to get some of the smaller ones to attach to a smaller base than my new rock. I might be willing to send one out to see how well they survive shipping, but would need advice on how to ship it. I transplanted one off of the rock onto a conch shell and it took it a couple of days to re-attach.

Its a tough call, I dont know how they do it, I know at the LFS they put them in the baggies just like the fish.

I've been doing research on them and think they may be warty anemones. Very classy name. lol I was expecting a common name like fantasy anemone or neon, but got warty...

Coloring looks wrong to me. I scraped the pic and posted on a few other forums as well, looking for an id. Anyone got an in at WWM?

thanks for your help. I found another species with the right color, but it has long tenticles and comes from the mediteranian. I know exactly were these came from. The gulf of Mexico on the Texas coast.

I went back to the first post to take another look. Yes, indeed a nice looking anemone. Very nice.... Keep them and just keep us posted as to how it holds up in an AQ. What wattage lights do you have?

I believe the open question is the identification. The OP seems fine with keeping the specimen ,. she just can't id it. Hence the forum of choice.

I also am interested so I'd rather it stay on topic if possible. Perhaps a mod can split the thread?

Looking at other pics these guys are really close to the giant green anemone (Anthopleura xanthogrammica). the habitat sounds about right, just not as bright, not as green, and not as giant. However the listed colors include blue and white.

Just found some more pics of the giant green, and it doesn't have the knobbley base, so that's not it.

I thing you might have it. I google the name and it looks like your's. I think the difference is in the lights that the picture was photographed with.

Was this rock that it was on buried in the sand a bit. Anthopleura seem to like to be buried in the sand or bundled up with shells piled high around itself. Each subspecies having a different color tone to it as well as the amount of light it recieves.

the base is wrong for the green. I'm still leaning toward the wharty. Mine have the knobbley basw and I think it's diet might MAJORLY affect the color. I feed my fish pellets that are red. some of the pellets fell on one of the anemones and it lost most of the blue-green shimmer and went to a pink shimmer. Of course, if you check the pic, it originaly was blue-green with pink shimmers. I'll try to get a pic of the color change. (my camera sucks)

Looks to be a rock/flower anemone of Phymanthus, possibly crucifer.

It could well be a rock/flower anemone but so many color morphs it's so hard to tell add to that all the variations in lighting and who knows.

I think the major clues are it's base, which is different than most anemones, and it's short fat tentacles. I've decided colors can morph too easily according to light and diet. In this pic my flash washed out almost all the color, but it shows one of them extended so you can see the base, and there are four in it's closed position right above it and to the left.

Attachments

• DSCF1503.jpg
    DSCF1503.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 55
A color morph is just that, but it still has the typical characteristics of Phymanthus/Epicystis sp. rock anemone including the verrucae on the column.

For added information, they tend to do better in cooler tanks (65F-74F) and require multiple feedings throughout the week. In a sense, they are rather cryptic. I am unsure of how they would react to the stimulus of other fish, but considering their dietary needs for prey capture, I imagine they would be dangerous to have with certain fish. These shouldn't be of any interest to any sp. of clownfish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom