anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A color morph is just that, but it still has the typical characteristics of Phymanthus/Epicystis sp. rock anemone including the verrucae on the column.

For added information, they tend to do better in cooler tanks (65F-74F) and require multiple feedings throughout the week. In a sense, they are rather cryptic. I am unsure of how they would react to the stimulus of other fish, but considering their dietary needs for prey capture, I imagine they would be dangerous to have with certain fish. These shouldn't be of any interest to any sp. of clownfish.

these came out of water that was around 85 F and to me the base of the rock anemone looks different than what I have. could you send me some links so I can compare? My camera sucks for getting details. <pout>

I take it you used a temperature gauge of some sort? It is rather unusual, imo, for these to be in 85F but considering we are in summer months it is not that surprising either I guess. I would perform some temperature calculations just to see what these anemones can take: lowest before tissue degeneration, optimal, and highest before tissue degeneration. If you do a search in Yahoo or Google under "Phymanthus crucifer" or even "rock anemone", you should receive various links to their care. Pay more attention to sites based on informational purposes rather than a retailer trying to sell them.

jeez i just saw one of those at my LFS i think! ill go tomorow and see if they still have it, because i gotta go pick up some things.

All the pictures and descriptions I could find of Phymanthus crucifer states that they have nodules on the tentacles and the verrucae is only on the top of the base. Very definately not how these guys are.

I guess. I would perform some temperature calculations just to see what these anemones can take: lowest before tissue degeneration, optimal, and highest before tissue degeneration.

I just want to know what they are, not kill 'em <grin>

Phymanthus spp. have verrucae along the column, whether crucifer or not. Delebeek also states this in a couple books, but can be found online.

here is the techinical descript of Pymanthus :

Phymanthidae with base and column of variable appearance. Upper part of column with verrucae, which sometimes may be indistinct. (The verrucae on mine are distinct and go from tip of base to edge of oral disc) A row of perforated marginal pseudospherules . Cinclides may be present at the base. No sphincter or a very weak, diffuse one. (mine have tight, destinct sphincter) the Marginal tentacles arranged hexa- or octomerously [sic]. Laterally the marginal tentacles are provided with weak or well developed protuberances in the form either of low knobs or of ramified branches. (absolutlely no nodules on any of my tentacles) The discal tentacles sometimes resemble the marginal tentacles in part, more usually they are papilliform, sometimes very indistinct or even wholly absent? Longitudinal muscles of tentacles and radial muscles of oral disc ectodermal, sometimes with a slight tendency to be meso-ectodermal. Pairs of mesenteries arranged hexa- or octomerously [sic], many are perfect, the stronger with or without the directives, fertile. Retractors well developed, strong, diffuse or strongly restricted, reniform. Cnidom: spirocysts, basitrichs, microbasic p-mastigophors. (i'm not techinical enough to understand thte last bit)

By defination of Pymanthus, this is not Pymanthus

Key notes from your source: "Phymanthidae with base and column of variable appearance.," "Upper part of column with verrucae, which sometimes may be indistinct," "The verrucae on mine are distinct and go from tip of base to edge of oral disc."

All animals have subtle variances setting them apart from other conspecifics. This description doesn't negate my guess by any means and along similar lines to that of my sources, but I'm not going to argue with you either. If you want to know for sure then submit one to a lab and find out for yourself.

Sorry to cause a stir. Though... I do love the apparent pastel colors. If the group ever comes to a consensus (by agreement or battery) and have a source I'd be interested.

If not... *ding ding* as Apollo Creed says :)

I didn't realize I was being argumentative, and if so I apologize. I thought we were debating the pros-cons of it being a "rock anemone". I obviously do not know what they are or I would not be in this forum. Once again I apologize if I seem argumentative.

Nope nothing... I 'll rattle the cages there and see.

We could end this quickly by you shipping me one of those :)

The marine biology dept. of the Dallas Aquarium will be reviewing pics tomorrow. Hopefully they can tell me right away what they are.

Back
Top Bottom