anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bunodosoma

Here is the e-mail I got back from Jeff at the Dallas aquarium:

Hi there Renea,

Arden passed your inquiry along to me. The species of anemone from the photos appears to be a Warty rock anemone (/Bunodosoma// sp/). The blue "warts" on the column are the tell tale sign. The photo showing the oral disc and tentacles confused me until I realized the tentacles are somewhat retracted in the photo, giving them the appearance of a different anemone. Many colors and patterns exist in the Warty rock anemone, everything from pink and yellow to red and green. These anemones are quite common on the gulf coast near Galveston, especially in tide pools. These anemones typically do better in cooler water, somewhere around 75F and the warmer than usual water could be the reason for the slight tentacle retraction in the photo. I hope this helps answer your question.

thanks so much,

-- Jeffrey Gall
Education coordinator
The Dallas World Aquarium
(214)720-2224 x 318

Bunodosoma

Here is the e-mail I got back from Jeff at the Dallas aquarium:

Hi there Renea,

Arden passed your inquiry along to me. The species of anemone from the photos appears to be a Warty rock anemone (/Bunodosoma// sp/). The blue "warts" on the column are the tell tale sign. The photo showing the oral disc and tentacles confused me until I realized the tentacles are somewhat retracted in the photo, giving them the appearance of a different anemone. Many colors and patterns exist in the Warty rock anemone, everything from pink and yellow to red and green. These anemones are quite common on the gulf coast near Galveston, especially in tide pools. These anemones typically do better in cooler water, somewhere around 75F and the warmer than usual water could be the reason for the slight tentacle retraction in the photo. I hope this helps answer your question.

thanks so much,

-- Jeffrey Gall
Education coordinator
The Dallas World Aquarium
(214)720-2224 x 318

Well finally! The mystery has been solved! Im happy we all know what it is now.
:bowl:

I think they will just have to get used to having slightly retracted tentacles. At least they are a species that prefers meat to high lights.

Back
Top Bottom