Another hitch hiker- what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is a hitch hiker I found in my 3gal Pico. Moves around at a pace of maybe 1 inch per 10 seconds. Looks like it is soft and fuzzy on its belly with a cap over part of its body. All total size is about 3/4 inch , not including the 1" or so antennas out the front.He is purple in the back, pink in the middle and green in the front. Is this just a snail?

Here is a pic-Know what it is?

Thanks y'all

Attachments

• what is this slug006 (Small).jpg
    what is this slug006 (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 61
  • what is this slug014 (Small).jpg
    what is this slug014 (Small).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 64
That would be a stomatella snail. Nothing to worry about I have tons of them.

Thanks,

Stomatella... that would make him Italian right??, with a name like that he would just have to be.

I no longer get nervous when I see something "new" in the tank, it seems like if your a reef keeper that sooner or later you will get a reply " MUST GET RID OF THAT" . Ain't skeered, just glad it's not this time:p

Joey

A second critter out of the blue... you have some good quality live rock, that's for sure! You can expect to see hitch hikers appear even many months after setting up an aquarium. I once had a new HH appear after nearly a year. I guess eggs and lava can last a long time in LR.

BTW, I've been reading a bunch of your threads and love your Pico. Very cool job indeed. Here's a thought on lighting for that tank... if you upgrade the lighting, you can grow a few hard corals - after you are sure your tank paramaters are stable - which can take 6 - 12 months. Check out my pictures and comments about a Curent fixture that will fit your Picotope perfectly: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f98/jbj-pico-journal-108865-2.html Just note that I replaced the original lamp (a combo of actinic and 10,000) for a daylight duo lamp (6700 - 10,000) because my Picotope is a fresh water planted aquarium... so the color you will see does not have a blue actinic cast.

Elwaine.. that planted Pico is awesome! I looked at the thread about the tank, too cool ! i see your JBL lights and that would be a great upgrade for me later. so 12" is the ticket? Yes I would need daylight and actinic, but sure would make it possible for clams and SPS.
Thanks for the insight.

Thanks Joey. They are Current - not JBJ - lights. One word of caution (?) about clams. They are wonderful critters, but if you really want a clam, you need halogen lighting... and that's a whole other (expensive) world. For a Pico aquarium, you'll not only need halogen lighting, but probably a chiller too, as halogens will heat up the lillte Pico.

Thanks Joey. They are Current - not JBJ - lights. One word of caution (?) about clams. They are wonderful critters, but if you really want a clam, you need halogen lighting... and that's a whole other (expensive) world. For a Pico aquarium, you'll not only need halogen lighting, but probably a chiller too, as halogens will heat up the lillte Pico.

Oh yea, your right.. I knew that. Don't know why I was thinking HQI. None the less, my corals would certainly benefit from more intense lighting.
Something to upgrade when the hobby gets stale:p
As for now my wife is about to build a Aquapod 24 , that will keep us busy for a while.

Back
Top Bottom