Another newbie "what is it?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
This one looks similar to my "Flower?" post. Same size (about the size of a dime), etc, but this one has tentacles. If I touch them with something the whole thing retracts a little into the rock. The tentcales are about 1.5-2 inches long.
This is the only shot I can get as it is more towards the back of my tank so I have to take the pic from the top.

Something I should be concerned about or just leave be?

Attachments

• img_360.jpg
    img_360.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 197
Any way of getting a pic without so much flash? It's really hard to see the shape of the anemone. I looks like a beaded anemone but I can't be sure. The tentacles looks bumpy, is that how it is or is it just me?

No, I don't think more/less flash makes a difference. That is the only angle I can get as well.

The tentacles looks bumpy, is that how it is or is it just me?

Yes they are bumpy.

Not much more to go on but thanks for your help.

Its an apasta and needs to be gotton rid of becuase if it manages to multiply then you have a bigger problem.

I still think it's possibley a species of Actinostephanus (ignore the coloration)

ESAActinostephanussp5.jpg

I would wait on the death sentence for now, at least until you get a 100% ID. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Thats very close steve. But from what I can tell it's the tentacles themselves that are bumpy - they don't have bumps/spikes *on* them. Hope that makes sense.
I'll try to get a better/clearer pic of it in the next few days.

Keep in mind that Actinostephanus is just the Genus, each species within that genus will have many differences. Once the genus of an animal is narrowed down, it becomes somewhat easier to nail down the actual species. Sometimes though you may not get much better than genus.

Cheers
Steve

I have one very simular in my tank that steve helped me ID as a beaded anemone. I really don't believe what you have is aptasia. The only difference is mine has more tentacles. It's not the same but I'm sure it's closely related. If the behavior is the same, they do not spread like a pest anemones. Mine is still a loner. It came as a hitchhiker on a peice of coral. Mine did grow pretty quickly though and loves to be fed. I would enjoy it for what it is and let it live. :D

I would enjoy it for what it is and let it live

Thats my plan - as green as I am at this I don't think it's aptasia either. It's actually rather ugly but I am starting to enjoy watching it.

Thanks for all the help guys/girls.

Wanted to share a pic of my hitchhiker. It's grown fast and loves to be fed. It has super sticky tentacles and only takes barely a touch for it to grab the food. It's a mustardy color with silver. But the tentacles are turning pink. :D

Back
Top Bottom