Another one - tiny filament-like threads poking out from LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
3-day old live rock has some (at least 1, maybe 2) tiny, white, filament-like threads poking out. Maybe an inch is coming out at the most.

Sort of like angel hair pasta, but much skinnier.

When light is shined on them they retract quickly.

Haven't been able to get a picture so far, but I'm still trying.

Potential problem? With the brittle worms (my arrow crab has managed to get one in the last 24 hours) grossing out the family, this will really do a number on the significant other.

Thanks (again) Fluff. From the looks of it you never leave this site (or your PC).

Still trying to get a photo.

Looks right, what I've got isn't so long, or established, but it looks right.

Here's the best photo I can get so far. They slip back under the rock as soon as they appear.

Right now (5 mins after photo) they're snaking along the sand, 2 of them, still connected to the rock though, and each are around 2" long. Totally flat on the sand, just lifting up their heads (??) occasionally.

I'll note too that they're not spanning up the rock like the pics of spaghetti worms I've seen. They're acting more like the bristle worms - coming up, raising up in the air, like they're sniffing for something, poking around the sand, then retracting back into the rock.

Maybe that's how spaghetti worms before, the photos make it hard to tell.

Update: I looked through quite a few spaghetti worm photos, and that's what these (this) look (looks) like.

Case closed, I guess!

identify-spag-worms.jpg

That's another mini brittle star. You'll probably never see more than a few legs at a time.

Back
Top Bottom