Another unidentified critter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
I brought my flashlight in the middle of the night last night to see what might be crawling around in my tank. Didn't see anything crawling but something I have never seen before attached to my live rock. It was shaped like a tiny sea urchin with appendages that were clear... almost like the little clear worms that come out of the tubes- except these appendages did not bend. Each one did move- almost like it was just swaying with the current.... but it was attached to the live rock. Each appendage had a little white dot on the end. I looked for it today and either it has withdrawn itself into a hole in the rock or it moved. From one dot to the other it was @ the width of a nickel.... almost a quarter. Today, I can not find it.... I'm coming back tonight with my flashlight & see if it's still there. It was clear except for the white tips. I have looked at an article on hitchhikers and it wasn't on there. If you have any ideas I'd appreciate you thoughts. Thanks

***OH... it was too dark to get pics...

IMO this would be a nice story to tell your grand kids. Tell them in a spooky way like a ghost boogie monster way
xD

Thanks!!!

Thank you, Mr. X. You are a genius! You wouldn't believe how many people I have asked about this & they look at me like I'm crazy! I googled pseuocorynactis and this photo looks just like my mystery creature!
I read up on this guy but it didn't sound like I should feed him anything special. Do you know of anything I should do for him? Thanks again for your great advice!
Pseuco%20carib.JPG

You could target feed him if you wanted to, but He's been doing fine thus far without it. They catch particulate matter in the water column with those sticky tentacles, like any other anemone.

One more question.....

Thanks, Mr. X. But, I have one more question for you. Is this thing an anenome or a coral? I've read several articles and some say it is a coral that resembles an anemone and others say that pseuocorynactis is an anenome whose tentacles are very potent and can easily kill fish and corals..... I'm guessing that whatever it is mine is the timid kind... he is still pretty little and I certainly haven't seen him acting aggressive right now.... of course, I can hardly see him at all:) Just curious as to what you think he is.... coral or anenome? I've killed every anenome I've had (except my beautiful conde that I had to give away because he wouldn't be still)... it would be ironic if one actually grew on its own:)

Back
Top Bottom