Any clue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this little guy the other day. He is very active around the tank and seems to be getting along well with my Flame Angel and the Clowns but I am unsure what type of fish he is..Some sort of blenny?

Attachments

• 2011-07-17 18.52.42.jpg
    2011-07-17 18.52.42.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 205
From the back it kinda looks like a blenny. Do you have a better picture?

I'll try and get a better shot of him. Normally I can get him to the front of the tank for a stare down.

I don't know the normal price on these but I got him for 6 bucks, 35% marked down to like 4 bucks.

Attachments

• 100_0233.jpg
    100_0233.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 205
I'm thinking it's some type of lawnmower blenny. The body and fins seam to match my lawnmower

LOl I have a lawnmower and thats def not at all like mine. It looks much more evil and snake like. Almost looks like a sand perch of some sorts but not the coloring....

I don't believe you bought a "marked down" fish, that's too funny. The store didn't know what it was either??

Actually, it reminds me of the freshwater gobies I've seen. You may be on to something with goby family...

I think he IS a Blenny. There are so many different kinds. I think they are absolutely adorable. My LFS has a purple blenny with green transparent fins and his cute little antennae. He likes to look at you with his mouth open - such big eyes and to me, he looks like a little dragon, especially with the green fins (wings). Anyway there are so many different kinds in so many different colors. Looks Blenny-ish to me. But if he doesn't have antennae, maybe he is a gobi.

Well I know for a fact it's not a scooter either, i have one of them. it doesnt appear to be a dragonet of any type.

The lady wasn't entirely sure! He gets along great with everything so I am not concerned. Marked down though, yeah :)!! Both of my LFS offer military discounts along with their usual sales. I get 35% at one on Fridays and 25% at the other on Mondays! Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated

It's a goby, and most likely a species of Bathygobius. These gobies are often called frill-fin gobies because the tips of the upper few pectoral-fin ray branches are free from the fin membrane making the upper part of the fin appear frilled. You should be able to see these if you get the fish in the right angle. It's a little hard to be definite on species from the photos, but check out Bathygobius fuscus as a very likely candidate.

It's a goby, and most likely a species of Bathygobius. These gobies are often called frill-fin gobies because the tips of the upper few pectoral-fin ray branches are free from the fin membrane making the upper part of the fin appear frilled. You should be able to see these if you get the fish in the right angle. It's a little hard to be definite on species from the photos, but check out Bathygobius fuscus as a very likely candidate.

Thank you Tony for that very accurate information! He is 100% a Dusky Frill Goby and an amazing addition to my tank

Back
Top Bottom