Any idea what these plants on my live rock are?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mastyl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I am new to the hobby and I am wondering if anyone may know what these plants coming out of my live rock are. There are two kinds, one dark green that looks like seaweed, and the other is NEON Green strings. The local store that I bought the rock from assured me it is nothing to worry about.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• img_0937_212.jpg
    img_0937_212.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 53
  • img_0936_121.jpg
    img_0936_121.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 55
Welcome to AA. The first pic looks like some type of calerpa. The 2nd one is hard to tell. Are they like plants or are they hard like tubes. Moving this to the proper forum.

The first pic looks like it could be Sargassum, the second is caterpillar weed.

The first pic looks like dictyota sp. algae. I would remove it before it spreads. It can be a a nuisance to corals when it gets going, and it's not pleasant to look at either. The second pic is of neomeris annulata. It usually causes no issues at all, no need to remove it.

MT79 said:
The first pic looks like dictyota sp. algae. I would remove it before it spreads. It can be a a nuisance to corals when it gets going, and it's not pleasant to look at either.

The leaves look to razor'ish or "holly like" to be a dictyota sp. IMO

MT79 said:
The second pic is of neomeris annulata.

Yeah, that's what I said. Caterpillar weed is neomeris annulata. :wink:

fluff said:
I see what your saying but sargassum I saw has small round vesicles, and I did not notice any in the pic. It could very well be sargassum though.
Caterpillar weed is neomeris annulata
I know. Just providing some more info :wink:

MT79 said:
fluff said:
I see what your saying but sargassum I saw has small round vesicles, and I did not notice any in the pic. It could very well be sargassum though.

I don't think it is tall enough yet. Give it a couple more inches of growth and they will start to sprout.

Anyone have experience w/ sargassum? I read that it is intrusive, but generally does not do well in reef aquariums. Should it be removed, assuming it's going to spread, or just left alone to die off?

I would continue to prune it. Sargassum can get out of control pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom