Any Idea what these three things are?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think the first picture is bubble algae? Is that good? The second one might be a sponge and the third is some type of crab. Im just curious to what it is/.

Attachments

• IMG_2440.jpg
    IMG_2440.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 52
First one is bubble algae (not good) get a green emerald crab to eat those. There is also aiptasia on that (not good) Get a peppermint shrimp to eat those. DO NOT MANUALLY PLUCK IT OFF!! IT WILL SPREAD EVERYWHERE!

Second one looks like some sort of sponge or filter feeder, should be harmless.

Third one looks like a bad type of crab. Any hitchiker crab to me is bad. Is it hairy??

Take a look at this link as well.

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

ok thanks yeah he is a little hairy crab. i dont have any zoas or any invertebrates for that matter. Ill try to get an emerald crab for the algae and some peppermint shrimp for the aipastia. I killed that aiptasia with a lemon juice injection about a week ago but he came back

I would continue to try lemon juice or the other methods out there. I would even use joe's juice before trying a peppermint shrimp. There are a couple different types of shrimp that look really similar to pepps, and often your LFS may have them mismarked.
Peppermint Shrimp Imposters in Saltwater Aquaria: Lysmata wurdemanni is the Real Aiptasia-Eater for the Reef Tank
and even when you do get the right kind, they may not eat the aiptasia. Keep blasting him with the lemon juice or other remedies.

My LFS told me that she used the false Pep shrimp to eat the aiptasia. He for $3 I got a couple. I love my emerald crab, he is so cute. He's getting big now.

I wouldnt add creatures to take care of something that you can just pull out and clean. That rock looks small enough to pull from the tank and treat by hand.

Just pull it out and pluck the bubble algae off. As for the aiptasia, maybe some epoxy ought to fix him. :)

Matt

With that first picture, if it was me I'd just throw that piece away and not mess with trying to get rid of the aiptasia/bubble algae. With how small it is, it just isn't worth the effort. Bubble algae is difficult to get rid of 100% and the absolute best method of control is to not let it in to start with.

Cabezon... watch out with that "false" peppermint shrimp. If we're talking about a Camel Shrimp (they look a lot like a Peppermint), they are not reef-safe.

[Edit: Too funny... looks like Matt and I were thinking along the same lines at the same time!]

Back
Top Bottom