Any ideas what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Msmith88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-241586877.jpg

This thing in the center of the photo right above the polyps is what I'm wondering about. It came as a hitchhiker on the live rock. I've always just assumed it was a duster but it grabbed ahold of a couple mysis shrimp recently and it forced me to take a closer look. It's got these yellow bumps on the end of its arms which is now making me think its an anemone of some kind. Usually can't get a photo of it at all cuz it's very dark but it's got a belly full of shrimp making it easier.

Corynactis or pseudocorynactis. Typically live in lower light than other anemones like underneath rocks and don't get very big. From what I've read most people don't know they have them until they're overturning rocks and just happen upon them. They can sting nearby corals like all anemones, but because of their small size you probably won't have to worry about that.

Just googled pseudocorynactis and that's exactly what I've got! He's been in the tank for almost 2 years and is in a crevasse where he can't sting others so ill just leave him be. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom