Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Anyone know what kind?

Looks like a tube worm, but kinda different.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:01 AM   #2
cj10488

I can't seem to find where i saw those at.. I thought it was in one of the modern Coral reef volumes like either 2 or 3 but I didnt see it again.. I aslo thought it was on reefimages.com but it wasnt there either... It look soo familiar like I have seen it somewhere... I think maybe the starts of this..
Ceriathus membranaceus "Tube Anemone"

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=23&pCatId=636

HTh,
James
Old 10-16-2003, 01:08 AM   #3
cj10488

I feel that it is in the same class as a tube anemone Maybe not that exact one but if you do a search on google you might find the exact one..

James
Old 10-16-2003, 05:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Pretty cool stuff, Kevin. I wish I could say that I know without a doubt what it is, but that simply isn't the case.

My first thought was Vermetid - the "tube" looks exactly like one, however, with an obviously different head.

Which led me to think more along the lines of a Serpulid worm (calcareous tube worm) - the "feather dusters" in general. But, these almost always have a 'divided' head, and the "feathers" just aren't quite right.

Which leaves me with 2 choices.

Either a strange type of zoanthid (Epizoanthus or Parazoanthus)

Epizoanthus"

Parazoanthus:

OR, a Cerianthid, or tube anemone. If I had to put my money on one, this would be it. Where the zoanthus tenticles seem to be an extension of the "stem", the Cerianthid anemones have a very distinct "tube", and the animal appears more to be living "within" it. This of course, would also be the case with the Serpulidae.

Here is a Cerianthid:

Another:

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm, thanks, I guess it is some kind of tube dwelling colonial anemone. Funny thing is these sucker popped up in the last couple of weeks and I haven't added anything new to the tank for a few months, as a matter of fact the last thing I got was the frags from you

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com