Anyone know what kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
dunno.jpg

Looks like a tube worm, but kinda different.

I can't seem to find where i saw those at.. I thought it was in one of the modern Coral reef volumes like either 2 or 3 but I didnt see it again.. I aslo thought it was on reefimages.com but it wasnt there either... It look soo familiar like I have seen it somewhere... I think maybe the starts of this..
Ceriathus membranaceus "Tube Anemone"

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=636

HTh,
James

I feel that it is in the same class as a tube anemone Maybe not that exact one but if you do a search on google you might find the exact one..

James

Pretty cool stuff, Kevin. I wish I could say that I know without a doubt what it is, but that simply isn't the case.

My first thought was Vermetid - the "tube" looks exactly like one, however, with an obviously different head.

Which led me to think more along the lines of a Serpulid worm (calcareous tube worm) - the "feather dusters" in general. But, these almost always have a 'divided' head, and the "feathers" just aren't quite right.

Which leaves me with 2 choices.

Either a strange type of zoanthid (Epizoanthus or Parazoanthus)

Epizoanthus"

epicou43.jpg

Parazoanthus:

Bla%20Parazoanthus.jpg

OR, a Cerianthid, or tube anemone. If I had to put my money on one, this would be it. Where the zoanthus tenticles seem to be an extension of the "stem", the Cerianthid anemones have a very distinct "tube", and the animal appears more to be living "within" it. This of course, would also be the case with the Serpulidae.

Here is a Cerianthid:

ANE-04-HS001-006.jpg

Another:

anemone4.jpg

Hmmm, thanks, I guess it is some kind of tube dwelling colonial anemone. Funny thing is these sucker popped up in the last couple of weeks and I haven't added anything new to the tank for a few months, as a matter of fact the last thing I got was the frags from you ;)

Back
Top Bottom