Anyone know what r they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Better pick so I think Protopalythoa fits whereas button polyps refer to Zoanthus <--referring to single brown "nub" at top right.

as long as they r not bad for my tank, they can stay XD
I m very happy to have those star polyps ^^

And yeah, aptasia DOES do the same thing as a feather duster. They both go back into tubes/holes when they are threatened.

ok I figure that if I post the digitate hydroids' pic in here will be better, since the creature that I think its hydroids r found in the same rock at the same area of the polyps. Since hydroids r bad, I wonder if they will hurt my polyps?
(well if these things r really digitate hydroids)

I tried my best to take the picture, didn't see them for 2 night, and suddenly they r back!!

img_1016544_0_e1983e22999671c7a75b8baae8fa4a26.jpg
img_1016544_1_06b309c77b963659169790c09d669a8d.jpg

I went to take a look again from the front, those little thingy r come from the polyps button.
but the other polyps button on the other rock is fold.

a better close up, I can't take the picture showing the arms r come from the button, cuz the angle of my bow front.
img_1016553_0_11c3b03bac5cdf908fa3cf37271c3789.jpg
img_1016553_1_919d0605baa5c75c55b42738d2723d9c.jpg
img_1016553_2_ed448875d216f1cfc88766ea7bab1b21.jpg

You're seeing the tips of its tentacles... it's already hidden back into the rock so you won't see it retract much. Yup... aiptasia.

is it other kind of aiptasia?
doesn't look like the one I had before. the one I had before are small, and the tentacles arn't that long, this one is huge and the tentacles r all in different length and the longest one I saw last night was about 1.5inches, is way bigger than the aiptasias than the one I had before.
also they only come out at night<---- thats why I think they are digitate hydroids/or maybe just polyps?
I found the info in here http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

both of them r bad anyway (except polyps)XD, just wanna to know what r in my tank.
I will remove them for good

Thank you so much

woo have a better look of it today, and kurt u r right, they didn't retract much cuz I didn't poke hard enough, I found its mouth and touch it, it puff~~ snapped back deep inside the rock~
I don't wanna to add any chemical tothe thank, I will probably try pep shrimp first, and so far its not harming any of the star polyps right next to it.

Yeah right now its not. But sure enough when they start to populate the tank they will grab everything in their path. Its a good thing you noticed the, now and not later. Definitely go with the pep shrimp. They are cool. And you might get lucky and they will possibly take care of the aptasia problem for you. Hope you get a bunch of pep shrimp that do like aptasia!! Good luck!

Yeah right now its not. But sure enough when they start to populate the tank they will grab everything in their path. Its a good thing you noticed the, now and not later. Definitely go with the pep shrimp. They are cool. And you might get lucky and they will possibly take care of the aptasia problem for you. Hope you get a bunch of pep shrimp that do like aptasia!! Good luck!

oh and will the pep shrimps eat aptasias thats bigger than them??
well I guess why the star polyps are fine now is cuz polyps come out when there is light, and that aptasias only come out when there is no light XP

My experience with peppermint shrimp has been that they'll take care of the smaller ones (perhaps), but ignore the bigger ones. I'd deal with that one chemically before it gets a chance to reproduce.

My experience with peppermint shrimp has been that they'll take care of the smaller ones (perhaps), but ignore the bigger ones. I'd deal with that one chemically before it gets a chance to reproduce.
I agree, if you put it off in hopes that you can get a natural "solution", you'll end up with a bunch of reproducing aiptasia and a lot of new tank mates that decide they dont much care for the taste.

I guess is better to remove it from the main tank first? so it won't have a chance to reproduce in my main tank, then once I get a hand on the chemical, I will take care of it.

Thanks guy

Back
Top Bottom