anyone know what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jam0Cat0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This just came out on my live rock and I have no idea what it is. It has white stripes going down into the center if it, and it pops up out of the rock like a saucer. I have had the rock for about 6 months never seen it till just about a week ago.

DSCF9003.jpg

You will find alot more than that will appear on and out of your rock!, my grandad is quite an expert in the marine field and designed and manufactured his own reef tanks/filter sytems, the only thing he didnt get time to do was to set up a big tank with the correct lighting and just fill it with live rock, he said the results would be amazing, just to see what would grow and populate from as far as were able to see nothing!

Welcome to AA! :)

I agree, looks and sounds like a duster. They are harmless filter feeders and a good thing to see in my opinion.

the only reason I don't think its a duster is because it is a solid circle, not single feathers of fingers. Are there dusters that have solid circles like that? I can get the picture closer.

DSCF9003.JPG

it looks wierd to be a feather duster it could be but i dont know move the water around it if it sways then it prob is a duster if not then idk wut it could be

Feather duster. For sure. Perfectly harmless and interesting to look at. If you have a higher nutrient system you will see them pop up all over the place in the tank.

I don't think its a feather duster, see the clear parts in between the white, that is all one solid peace, the white are not fingers or feathers its a solid cone and its hard. I is always out does not go in and out of a tube.

I don't think its a feather duster, see the clear parts in between the white, that is all one solid peace, the white are not fingers or feathers its a solid cone and its hard. I is always out does not go in and out of a tube.

Hmmm... possibly a paly polyp? I'm at a loss, but really curious at this point. lol

Any chance of getting a pic of when it "hides"?

stick you finger in the water near it. If it retracts really quickly and pretty much vanishes it's a feather duster. I'm about 99.9% sure that's what it is.

nope its not a feather duster i know that for a fact i have had them a dozen times. This thing does not move it stays in the same spot and position 24/7. The best way to explain what it looks like is if you took a contact lens and painted little white lines on it, and edge of the contact curled out not in. It is hard not soft, that is why I am wondering if its some kind of coral.

Ok I Think I figured out what it is I found a picture and it is in the same shape as disk coral.

Back
Top Bottom