Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2004, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone know what type?

Well was on the phone and noticed a black spot, looking closer I thought oh no we have that red slime again, looked closer, nope it's moving, it is black and about the size of a nickel, I've tried the seaslug forum I've tried pics, I'm at a loss. I wanted to get it off, but as I approached it with a stick to get it off the rock it opens a white looking mouth. I don't want to kill it, but I don't want it to destroy any of the reef. I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can ID it for me.

Thanks!

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Looks like a shield limpet or maybe a cowrie, some type of shelled snail that extends it's mantle to cover itself.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
steve-s

It is commonly refered to as an elephant snail. Very good algae eaters. I had a few for several years without incident.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-29-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That it!!! Wow thanks, I was so afraid it was going to damage the corals, glad to know it's not, it is a cool looking snail though. Thanks again!!
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com