Anyone seen this before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris-Nicol

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure if the picture is clear but it's like White stringy stuff! It is gradually gettin bigger but not fast! It just seems to float about in the flow but it's attached to my LR

Attachments

• image-465464730.jpg
    image-465464730.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 297
It may not be what I am about to suggest but I found something similar in my reef a while ago and found it to be...
LFS have been known to use fine wool like string for attaching small crops / gardens of polyps & soft corals etc to live rocks and selling them as a one piece garden. I purchased a few of them a while ago and this is what I found it to be, it had me guessing for a while! You had any recent additions?

paulace2372 said:
It may not be what I am about to suggest but I found something similar in my reef a while ago and found it to be...
LFS have been known to use fine wool like string for attaching small crops / gardens of polyps & soft corals etc to live rocks and selling them as a one piece garden. I purchased a few of them a while ago and this is what I found it to be, it had me guessing for a while! You had any recent additions?

Thanks for the suggestion! My latest additions are two mushroom corals but it started growing before then. I have had one or two fish added before it started growing but it couldn't have hitch hiked on a fish could it?

I would say its unlikely to be honest, my other thought was that it may be a rogue thread of filter wool? Mr X is usually excellent for ID'ing things. If he doesn't know what it is my guess is few people will - he seems very knowledgable!

paulace2372 said:
I would say its unlikely to be honest, my other thought was that it may be a rogue thread of filter wool? Mr X is usually excellent for ID'ing things. If he doesn't know what it is my guess is few people will - he seems very knowledgable!

Well hopefully someone will be able to identify it

i don't see any white stringy stuff, but vermetid snails are known to extend long web-like strands of white mucous. it's used to catch food that might be floating by. try for a better pic.

mr_X said:
i don't see any white stringy stuff, but vermetid snails are known to extend long web-like strands of white mucous. it's used to catch food that might be floating by. try for a better pic.

Thanks for your reply. I know the pic quality could be better but this is all I have at the moment. It's the long White/see-through thing in between the two bits of LR.

I think Mr X has it! I don't know why it didn't occur to me as I have seen them doing this myself. I bet it has just broken off from the rest of it and the reason it appears to be growing is actually that the mucous is beginning to break down in the water. I told you... The guys a genius! :)

Back
Top Bottom