Aptasia(?) and orange things growing on lr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flake

Aquarium Advice Addict
Seems like every time I turn around there's something else strange in my tank. I think I've gotten an aptasia hitchhiker. It's itty bitty. :(

Theres also a very interesting orange thing that's popped up next to my rock. If this is aptasia, is there a way to remove the mushroom and toss the rock before it spreads? or would it just be easier to try and fight aptasia?

img_1012903_0_73d15abdfead7e631b9b3c6e81cd9ee3.jpg

img_1012903_1_b3a9e24ecd95baa7a608a9bc7c2e560b.jpg

Both look like aptasia. Why not just get one of those shrimp that eats the aptasia. Also, if its in a spot that you can reach why not try and manually remove it. Hey what tank is this btw? Is this your 10G?

It's in the 10. Which shrimp eats aptasia? We tried going after it with tweezers and the anemone looking on keeps sucking itself back into the rock.

Heh funny. playing cat and mouse with aptaisia.. lololol. Well i forgot the name.. but i did see a thread were people suggested a type of shrimp to this one person who had some SERIOUS aptaisia problems. Also isnt there such thing called AptasiaX ?? I think it removes aptaisia and such

I'll look it up, didn't even think it was an option, that certainly helps. Thanks. I'm going to try a simple method before I try dumping chemicals.

Aiptasia X or Joe's juice will work, but they are essentially a kalk paste that can be made much cheaper DIY. Peppermint shrimp are hit and miss.

I'll look it up, didn't even think it was an option, that certainly helps. Thanks. I'm going to try a simple method before I try dumping chemicals.

I'm an "anti-chemical" person when it comes to my tank, but I make exceptions for the aiptasia removal solutions. You're not treating your whole tank with it... you're injecting or covering the individual anemone with the stuff. While there's not many things in reef keeping that you want to move quick with, this is one of them. They can really get out of hand quick and once they start popping up in more difficult places, things get nasty.

Regarding that second picture, I'm not sure what it is, but I know it's not aiptasia, and I don't think it's a majano. It actually looks like a baby LPS coral of some sort. I see several individual polyps with feeding tentacles. Personally, I'd leave that one alone for a while. If it's coral, it won't move from its current location. If it's a majano, it most likely will move at some point.

But that first picture... aiptasia for sure.

Drug the rock to my lfs. Confiremed it was a majano and an aptasia. Rock is now hanging out with a bunch of peppermint shrimp. It's the only aptasia i've seen and on a rock I put in yesterday, no time to spread. Will be keeping my eyes out for more though.

Back
Top Bottom