are these aptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
No sure, wanted to check before I put them in my main. Came on my new rock.

They sure are QS. I got alot in my tank, I'll try to pick them off and send them to you if you want them :wink:

Here are better picks. Are you sure? To bad, they are cool looking and big. The one is 3" in diameter.

Thats deff what I have and I'm 99% sure they are glass. I dont doubt that gear head has them too, but from what I understand that dont all look alike. I even have several in my tank that dont appear to be the same species, but if I was a betting man I would say they are all glass.

Mine dont bother me and I dont bother them, just adds life to the tank. Should they ever get out of hand I'll get a chocolate Chip starfish on loan from LFS to get them under control.

Do they reproduce very fast? If its not out of hand, I may leave them.

Also, can anyone ID the "bubble like substance NW of the anemone in the 3 and 4th pick? Sponge? Its a little mushy in texture and whiteish clear.

Buy a peppermint shrimp, if it leaves it alone then it is not aptasia.... :D
Yes they multiply fast, just like a weed.... :(

Buy a peppermint shrimp, if it leaves it alone then it is not aptasia....
Yes they multiply fast, just like a weed....

Mine took care of the aptasia in my tank real quick.

Mike

quarryshark said:
Also, can anyone ID the "bubble like substance NW of the anemone in the 3 and 4th pick? Sponge? Its a little mushy in texture and whiteish clear.

Im not sure what that is, I didnt have anything like that on my rock.

I just got some Live rock and I have like 10+ of these. (looks identical anyway) I think I'm going to add a few peppermint shrimp after my ammonia goes down. I have a 65 gal tank with about 85 gal total system. How many should I get. I was thinking like 4-5 but is that the right amount?

Anyone know a good ratio. I see some coral on the rock too so I am wondering if I should just leave them too until they become a problem but I'm not sold either way.

I had the same thing I got 2 peppermints and 1 butterfly (long nose and they are for the most part gone although the butter fly does mess with my bubble tipped anenome a litte

Allow me to be evil and disagree with most people. These are not Aiptasia. They are what are callled curly cue annemoneas, and are easily identified by their irregular tenticles with rings. Their scientific name is Bartholomea annulata, and are very hardy in captivity, and come from the caribean (I saw thousands diving in Jamaica 3 years ago). I would suggest eliminating them, because they spread quickly, and sting nicely.

Andrej

Bartholomea annulata does not spread quickly in the home aquarium and due to a very low amount of zoothanthellae in their tissues, are rarely if ever more than a dull grey or pinkish color. The colors above for the species you mention are not probable. It may be something other than anemonia majano (or even a variation of Epicystis crucifer) but I seriously doubt it's a Curlycue.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom