Are these good or bad Bristleworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finnster

Aquarium Advice Activist
These are the good type of Bristleworms?
Pretty sure they are the good kind, but want to make sure.
(Blue circle in picture for 1/3rd of an inch Mysis shrimp for size comparison/lure them out of live rock so I can take a photo).

Thanks,
Finnster :fish2:

Attachments

• Bristleworms.jpg
    Bristleworms.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Bristleworms 3.jpg
    Bristleworms 3.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Bristleworms 2.jpg
    Bristleworms 2.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 150
OH ALSO! Can they sting if they are the good kind?

It all depends on how you look at them I guess. I hate worms so they are all BAD lol. But those look like the pretty common ones around the hobby. Relatively harmless but yes they can sting! Don't touch them. Some people consider them to be helpful visual references to how much they are feeding the tank. If they multiply and grow like crazy you're probably feeding a little more then you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bristol worms are a good way of telling if your over feeding , they are like the fuel gauge of your tank

Now if it looks like your being invaded with worms your most likely over feeding,

your only wanting to see maybe a small handful and thats what you want if feeding correctly

bristol worms do sting yes it's very painful , never work in your tank with out gloves as you never know where one is hiding it only takes a second to get stung

are there good and bad bristol worms No , they are a good part of the CUC

now if a bristol worm grows over 3inch I consider them as pests I've seen them 3/4 ft long but they can get bigger and they can and will take over these need to be removed immediately using extreme caution doing so , using a coffee can to keep them contained is best always tape the lid closed to prevent accidental release in the trash

never take advantage of the worm (oh he is tiny !! size don't matter when it comes to getting stung they all can do serious damage)

I am scared for life because of a stupid worm never under estimate the worm

I can tell you story's about these guys as I learned first hand

Last edited:
The pics from his lesson scared me so bad I'm looking for steel mesh sleeves. I'm using cured live rock, the tank is still fairly sterile. Still don't want to put my hands in just in case because you never know.

Signed,
Scarred for life

Not to freak you out or anything but this literally just happened. I pulled this small rock out to use as a frag plug and found a tiny little bristleworm

These guys are a great part of a clean up crew. There was a point in time when I wish I had some in my tank.
Their only downfall are those spines on their sides. They are just like being stung by a bee. And like a bee sting, it will either do little to nothing or can give you an awful reaction.

Thanks for your opinions! I am planning to leave them in the tank now, but I got some heavy-duty aquatic gloves on Drs Foster and Smith so I should be okay (also because the salt stings my hands).

Thanks for your opinions! I am planning to leave them in the tank now, but I got some heavy-duty aquatic gloves on Drs Foster and Smith so I should be okay (also because the salt stings my hands).

Good plan!
My picture was only to show how close a close call could be! Did you get the arm length gloves? The saltwater hurts my hands and arms. But I have psoriasis..which is also bad because my skin can crack. Not cool.

I had quite a few that came in on the live rock my Arrow crab has been having a good feast I don't really see any now

Back
Top Bottom