Are these polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
Newish to the saltwater hobby and I'm not completely sure what these are. I'm pretty sure they're polyps but not sure...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388961900.129352.jpg

Sweet i got it on a piece of rock! You guys have any info on these

Very easy coral to keep. Do not need to be fed. They will definitely spread. Just give them some light and they'll be good

Also FYI be aware that some palythoas and zoanthids do contain paly toxin. Not really a big concern but most commonly causes skin irritation if you touch the coral, can be more harmful if you lick them or try to kill them by various means.

Same way the Vikings determined some mushrooms had hallucinogenic properties, trial and error. Actually the aboriginals to the area of origin to the poisonous polyps (Indonesia or Polynesia may have been Hawaii, honestly don't recall exactly) feared these polyps due to the release of the toxins the contain. In the past before we had more understanding of science and chemistry harmful things inspired fear, usually associated with an angry god demanding sacrifice. It wasn't until "modern" science allowed us to analyze these devil polyps and actually understand what and why they are toxic. Just like everything else poisonous it is a defense mechanism which some species have actually adapted to rely on. Some fish eat the polyps and absorb the toxin and use it as their own defense. Not all palys and zoas are toxic and not all are as toxic, also some people are more sensitive than others and suffer more from less toxin. I personally have never had issues but be aware that it is possible to be poisoned by these. Most cases are due to careless handling or touching your face or mouth after touching the polyps. I wouldn't be to concerned just wanted you to be aware of the potential and avoid the worst case scenario.

Good description. Some people are very sensitive to them. I have never had a problem with them, but as a diver I have come to recognize some corals that can really sting you. Most of those we don't keep as aquarium inhabitants .

Good description. Some people are very sensitive to them. I have never had a problem with them, but as a diver I have come to recognize some corals that can really sting you. Most of those we don't keep as aquarium inhabitants .

Thanks Greg, I wish I could go diving. In my area all id find is earth worms lol. Joys of living on the prairie.

Maybe that's a sign I need a vacation back to the ocean. Was out to the pacific back in June but didn't do any diving. Back about 6 years I went diving in Belize which was cool. Made me kick myself for selling my reef tank, I've since made up for that mistake in judgement.

Back
Top Bottom