Arrived dry - coral shipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today, I got my new toadstool in the mail, and was super excited! It's the largest coral I've bought so far.

Unfortunately, when I opened the soggy falling apart box,the bag had leaked completely out, leaving the squished poor coral inside.

I emailed the vendor, but they haven't responded yet. Right now the toadstool is "quarantining" in a makeshift qt with an open airline for some flow, I have a spare 9w pico 50/50 over it, and I'm really hoping it makes it!

The coral is not completely stiff, just shrunken and squished. I've had it in the water for about 20 mins.

Is there anything else I can do? I really have no way of maintaining the temp in the makeshift qt, however I am checking it and doing pwcs with slightly warm water to keep it around 75-80.

I would put it right in the tank. QTing a leather is a waste of time IMO. Just a visual inspection is fine.

I would put it right in the tank. QTing a leather is a waste of time IMO. Just a visual inspection is fine.

Thanks X! No worries about toxins then? Sorry I'm not much of an expert on coral warfare lol

No. No more toxins than it is capable of in any other situation. I don't think it's going to want to "do battle" so soon after this trip. How does it look now? Is it inflating at all yet?

It's inflating a little -- really glad it's not completely dead!

Did you take plenty of pictures before and after opening the package? A lot of online vendors want photo proof that package arrived as described.

Toadstools are pretty hardy corals so it will likely survive.

Thanks Dav, and yes I took many pictures.

However, the coral is doing very well! It is opening and has started showing the tips of its green stalks! Really glad it's doing well :)

Back
Top Bottom