Awesome Hitchhiker or Not? What is this cool looking hitchhiker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RealityHairGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just found this awesome looking little guy on my pink palythoas. I'd like to keep him, but I can't seem to find an ID when I search all the hitchhiker guides. I isolated him so I could get a good pic and man, he is so cool looking. I'm wondering what he is and if he is harmful any way. Thanks so much for all of your help!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391206574.266682.jpg

It does resemble a zoa eating nudibranch. They usually take on the color of what they eat. Do you have any palys that color? Yes, it is an awesome hitch hiker, but most likely not a reef safe one.

Yes, pink and gray. Okay so should I do anything with the nudibranch? Should I dispose of it or take him to LFS? Are there benefits to keeping it at all? Thanks!

As much as I hate to kill things, I would get rid of it. the LFS will probably toss it in the trash, so that's what you can do. BTW, It's not uncommon for them to lay eggs close to or on their food, which is in this case (imo) the palys. Keep an eye on them. Dipping them in an anti-pest solution a few times over the next couple weeks might be wise also.

That looks just like the three I found under my clove polyps....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399477929.336514.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399477950.313797.jpgwhich are right next to my...Zenia. I removed the three I found. I received the same advice so I will dip the rock they were on. I hate to kill them too but I love the cloves. If they eat ONLY Zenia, I would be somewhat grateful to use them to control the growth....but don't want to risk it.

Back
Top Bottom