Baby Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any Ideas on what kind? This guy is TINY... you can see how small he is by the sand.

I'd like to know what kind he is, before he hides for a year in my rocks.

TIA

Attachments

• baby_snail.jpg
    baby_snail.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 94
Looks like it may be a mini turbo snail. I have literally hundreds in my reef. They reproduce quickly but are harmless algae grazers. Without a better pic though, I can't say for sure that's what it is. Here is a pic of what mine look like. They start out while but gain a bit of color in their stripes as they grow.

Could also be a species of Nerite. Can you post a clear focused pic of the apurture (shell opening) with the snail withdrawn?

Cheers
Steve

He made it to the rocks before I could get him isolated. I had a lunch date with a 17 month old. :wink:

I looked them up, Nerites are good guys? Some have rather attractive shells.

Maybe this will help you ID your snail. Either way they are both great snails. Here are some pics of one of the mini turbos I took this morning.

Here's a nerite. My pics are terrible and I no longer have these snails to take an updated shot.

Since we're on the topic of baby snails.. I gotta ask... I've got these things growing on a wall in my tank..
They surely look like ITTY BITTY snails, they are white with like a hint of color in the center..and they are getting bigger...
do snails start out 'snail shaped' just get bigger, or are they slugs first or something...

I'll try to get a picture...but it's not gonna be easy...they are the size of lint specs..

Back
Top Bottom