baby snails??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deathmatch782

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While cleaning out my hob filter, i noticed many little white slug creatures in it. Are these baby snails that havn't got shells yet? or something to be worried about.

Likely neither. These little critters are either larve of flying insects you already have in your house, or nematodes. If flying insects, check for gaps between filter and cover that they're getting in through. If nematodes, then you probably need to clean your filter media more often, they are living off the junk that builds up in the filter.

I would say not in a saltwater tank. They are probably flatworms or stomatella varia or maybe some kind of nudibranch. I wouldn't think flying insect larvae would survive in saltwater.

Oops. I've been slipping back and forth from saltwater to fresh forums, and lost track of where I was.

I do have baby snails in the tank they look just like the big guys just about the size of pin head . I see them moving up the glass after lights are out.

they could also be qtip spounges, they are common in higher flow areas like sumps and filters...

you described them as white slug creatures.... were they moving? (might make my guess invalid)

Yeah, they are not baby snails after all. I can see baby snails in my aquarium on the glass.
What i described is still unknown to me, they were alive and moving and really just looked like slugs(antenne and all). I have now since removed the filter, cleaned in out and threw some cheato in there.

They weren't amphipods were they? I used to have to clean them out of my filter media all the time. Or maybe baby bristleworms.

Back
Top Bottom