Bad? good? what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some kinda worm? Sorry the pics suck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1392510508397.jpg
    1392510508397.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 1392510529881.jpg
    1392510529881.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 119
  • 1392510545871.jpg
    1392510545871.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 1392510561317.jpg
    1392510561317.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 116
Bristle worm. I remove them when they get too big for my likings but they are okay. I have a few in my tank.

Correct with a bristle worm. Great part of a clean up crew for your tank. They have nice 'hairs' on their sides that pack a nice sting, similar to a bee's, if you touch them with your bare hands. They can get quite large if there is enough for them to eat and are a great indicator if you overfeed your tank.

I'd say I'm over feeding but I'm trying to get my process down I've been putting some vitamins in the tank that cause a lot of brown algea but. I'm not sure how I can tell there is enough for my 3 turbo snails 3 hermit crabs 1 pacso clown and 2 nems. So I feed my nems flower pot and closed brain coral 2 times a week oyster feet diluted in tank water. 1 time a week I give them the oyster feest diluted in tank water mixed with brine shrimp. I feed my clown skunk and peppermint shrimp pellets 1 time a day i try not to put to much in just like 8 pellets or so. I also have a emerald crab in there i figure he get some brine and brown algea.

This is easy to break down. Nothing in your tank needs to be fed except your clowns. Feed 2-3 times a week, and sparingly. The nems and coral only need the light in your tank. The rest is a clean up crew and they can eat poop and other decaying matter.

I was told to feed the nems, brain and flower pot oyster feest 3 times a week by my lfs. I do have good lighting I'm using ai hydra leds but didn't know all they need was a good light... I have been puting B ionic calcium buffer in trying to get my Cal to 440 ppm I have tested and found my tank in the range of 380 to 400 ppm. Another person told me that 380 to 400 ppm is okay which is where because I keep reading 440ppm?

Stop dosing and stop feeding. You are leading yourself to big troubles. I started down the exact same path when I started, thinking feeding everything would help it grow and it would all get pulled out by my skimmer. Literally couldn't keep up with everything I was putting in. So called 'filter feeder' foods going into our systems is phosphate in a bottle. Your anemone will be fine with that lighting. Same with the brain coral. The flower pot will do what it wants to, and is most likely take a long time to slowly die. These guys are cheap and have a high mortality rate in our systems. Ironically, they used to be the coral to get way back because they 'lived' for so long...which really was them just starving to death longer than everything else.

When it comes to your tank, apply the KIS effect. Keep It Simple. Only put in what you KNOW you can take out. This will lead you to success and less troubles.

That sucks the flower pot is my favorite! I was hoping to keep him alive for the life of the tank. You say they die from starvation so why not spot feed him just a small shot here and there? So far my tank is doing excellent as I stated calcium levels are a tad lower than what the books tell me they should be although I have only two corals with calcium requirments. The brain looks great zoas are doing there thing and leather is bright. Here are photos at the end are some of the chemicals I've been using. Keep I. Mind I have been using way less than what is stated to be used in a tank like mine reason being because there is not much in my tank yet. So I have been using about a tenth the recomended dosages to start.

vamamyve.jpg
utezyzy8.jpg
6u2ebeve.jpg
revesaza.jpg
5a5y9u2y.jpg
nenaruja.jpg
aqu5aze2.jpg
a9yzu3e6.jpg
2uby6y4u.jpg

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Doesn't matter about how you are dosing. The levels go down as they are used. You want that to happen. Dosing when you only have 2 coral that use it is a waste of your money.
In terms if feeding the flower pot, it won't help most likely. The feeding will cause parameter issues and algae, which will kill it as well. A double edged sword.

Okay so as far as dosing goes it should just never be used? Your opinion does make sense I don't have many hard corals. It's wiered though it just seems like there wouldn't be enough for everything to survive. I was under the impression I was doing this correct but I guess I need to rethink my game plan lol. Thanks for the advice.

I'm assuming calcium will re enter through my water changes?

Yes. Water changes will do the trick. And yes, you have 2 hard corals. But tanks that require dosing are heavily stocked with sps coral. Takes a real heavy draw. All you need is water changes at this point.

Also do you have any advice on percentage levels of different light. White, UV, Blue, red, ect. I've kept them fairly low but I'm concerned on what a good level would be.

And an FYI, the purple up you have is also just calcium and alk in a bottle. It doesn't make coralline grow. The key to that stuff is introducing it to the tank and gently brushing it with a toothbrush with your skimmer off. That is if you want it. I've seen it over take tanks and in mine, I have enough absorbing the elements I want my corals to have.

I've tried most people just say play with it but what can I look for as good indicators sufficient lite or to much?

Back
Top Bottom