Ball of Clear Jelly...What is it?? (PIC)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have seen this "clear ball of jelly" for the second time in my tank that is 8 months old. I saw this "ball of jelly" about 6 weeks ago...in the same location. Hermits and Sally Lightfoot Crab made got rid of it in about 5 days once is showed up.

Any idea what this could be?? It is about 1.5 inches in diameter...and "jiggles" with the current...hence..not the clearest picture.

Thanks!

Attachments

• goo.jpg
    goo.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,071
Have you ever seen in inflated or always colapsed like that? Could be a bacterial mass or possibley a moon jelly of some type.

Cheers
Steve

It never really expands more than it is. It does not move. I have seen the hermits and sallylightfoot go after it...and I think that is how it finally goes away.

WC

Interesting, the only thing that really makes much sense to me would be the shell of a Valonia bubble after it's been popped.... :?:

Cheers
Steve

That is VERY WELL what this could be!! I did notice a "green rock-like thing" had had grown in this area where the "ball of jelly" Could this mean the release of many spores that could spread through the tank?? I have only noticed the 1 bubble before.

Thanks for the ID...I think that is what this it is. It sure does make sense given the proximity of the dark green bubble.

Thanks Steve!

WC

WhiteCloud said:
Could this mean the release of many spores that could spread through the tank??
Depends on the nutrient in the tank really. More commonly to newer tanks this could be an issue but not with a more established "stable" system. The best time to remove Valonia is while still small, under ¼" diameter. The algae will not usually be sexually mature and able to spore until larger.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom