big snail confussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a major algae bloom, so I bought a major snail. At the LFS they said it was a "coraline snail". Since it is covered in coraline, I figure that is a VERY generic name. I have attached a pic of it. My turbo has a cone shaped shell, but the big guy has a rounded spiraled shell. It is about 4 inches from foot to peak of shell. I would love to know what it actually is.

Attachments

• DSCF0780.jpg
    DSCF0780.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 59
See that one looks like hime, but it says max size is around two inches. The one I have is almost the size of my fist.

Never heard of a "coraline snail", but yeah... there IS coralline on it!

Agree with pat8you... turbo snail. They definitely get bigger than two inches - that's why they're normally passed by for reef tank. They're just big bulldozers, but they DO make quick work of certain types of algae.

I would guess that your cone-shaped "turbo" isn't really a turbo. Probably an astrea.

I agree with Pat and Kurt.

Some LFSs will call the larger Astrea snails (cone shaped) turbos, but they are astrea.

That makes sense. "Coraline" snail just didn't ring true, but I was confussed by the astrea. Thought it was the turbo. Thanks for the input.

It looks like the ones i just bought. I got 4 Mexican turbo's and they are all covered in coraline. Mine are not that big but i hear they can grow quickly and get pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom