Black clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bclili12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I just got these black clown fish that have yellow mouths/fins. It is hard to tell by the pictures but the yellow is really bright (like yellow tang bright!)
The lfs just called them black clowns.
Has anyone seen clowns like this? Curious if they are a specific species. Or if they are rare?
I've seen pics on the web of black percula clowns that have orange mouths/fins but never with the yellow. If anyone had a link that talks about the ones with yellow or has pics, that would be super awesome :)

Attachments

• image-1827592463.jpg
    image-1827592463.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3150771266.jpg
    image-3150771266.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1216973990.jpg
    image-1216973990.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1465258952.jpg
    image-1465258952.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 115
  • image-669842355.jpg
    image-669842355.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 124
It looks like Amphiprion polynemus. It's very similar to A. sebae, but has a large black wedge on the tail (versus mostly yellow tail in A. sebae).

I've got those in my tank. They are called saddleback clowns. Beautiful fish

How big is your tank and how many clowns do you have in it?

Fish-guy said:
I've got those in my tank. They are called saddleback clowns. Beautiful fish

Tony Gill said:
It looks like Amphiprion polynemus. It's very similar to A. sebae, but has a large black wedge on the tail (versus mostly yellow tail in A. sebae).

Yes, I think u guys are right! These clowns look really similar to the pictures I looked up of the saddleback, only slightly brighter yellow then most of the pics I saw. But one sight did say that color could vary quite a bit. They are fairly small right now, Any idea if there coloring will change with age?

joy13 said:
How big is your tank and how many clowns do you have in it?

We have a couple tanks, the one in the pics is a 36 g. We only have the two black clowns in this one now, because our larger clown got aggressive so we relocated him to a different tank. How come u ask?

Bclili12 said:
We have a couple tanks, the one in the pics is a 36 g. We only have the two black clowns in this one now, because our larger clown got aggressive so we relocated him to a different tank. How come u ask?

Possibly because of the 4th pic

Usually if you have more than one pair of clowns one or two will get aggressive enough to kill. Saddleback clowns would be the more aggressive so I was concerned about that. Even in a bigger tank with what seems like plenty of space it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom