Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-07-2004, 04:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
black patch under sand

having just read the advice of the question posed regarding, "black spots on sand"it occured to me that i could have a potential problem and probably need to ask a question and rectify any potential problems.
Approximately a month ago i introduced about 10 australian yabbies, these are a near transparent crustacean, that live in sand around some of our creeks, they are easily obtained with a yabbie pump and i thought they would make good sand filters and maybe eat some of the detrius that accumulates on the sand.
Anyway, i think that a couple of them may have died and i now have one very large circle shaped, black or maybe dark purple stain against my front glass under the sand, it is approx 3" x 4" round.
There is also another smaller circle about three inches from the first one.
I surmised that it was just the bacteria feeding off the dead creatures and that it would go away in due course. This has not happened and my questions are as follows, can it be harmfull, should i dig it all out and remove it and what is it???
thank you all for spending the time to read this and any suggestions you may have..

kellane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

that live in sand around some of our creeks
As in Freshwater creeks?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Is this the critter you are refering to... >>Blue Crayfish<<. If so, it does not belong in a SW environment.

It's always best to remove dead or decaying items from the tank when possible. As to wether you may have pockets of black sulphides would depend on the depth. The sulphides are a byproduct of strictly anaerobic bacteria which means it would need to be fairly low in the substrate to be a concern. If just below or near the surface of the substrate, it will not be sulphdes.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

no the crustacean i am referring to is callianass upogebia, and is most definately found in salt water..
kellane1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com