Blenny vs Dragonet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm curious on something, the LFS had sold us what he called a 'Scooter Blenny'. However, looking through most websites, he/she looks like a Red Scooter Dragonet.

So I'm curious if a 'Dragonet' is the same thing as a 'Blenny'? Can I call him a Red Scooter Blenny and it be considered the same thing?

:thanks:

Thanks in advance.

Blennys and dragonet a are similar yet different. The blennys are easier to look after as they eat basically anything. Dragonets can eat basically anything but they mostly feed on Copepods and normally just stay on that diet. If your new to fish keeping I would recommend a blenny the bicolour blenny is one of my favourite but if your looking for a challenge a dragonet would be a good choice.

The scooter blenny is just actually a dragonet. Not sure why they call it the scooter blenny when it's not a blenny, but they do. The scooter is not an easy fish to keep, and they can be very difficult to get eating. If you don't have a large, mature tank, I would consider returning the fish for one a little less finicky.

The scooter blenny is just actually a dragonet. Not sure why they call it the scooter blenny when it's not a blenny, but they do. The scooter is not an easy fish to keep, and they can be very difficult to get eating. If you don't have a large, mature tank, I would consider returning the fish for one a little less finicky.

+1
Definitely not a blenny. Mandarins also fall under dragonets and are sometimes referred to as mandarin gobies. Basically fish stores need to learn how to properly label animals...

Well we've had him for a month or so, and the tank was started around a month before he was put in. So it is no where near a mature tank, and we feed him Frozen Mysis, Cyclop Eeze, and occasional MarineSnow.

We do have some 'Pods' due to hitch hikers, you usually see them scurry when the lights get kicked back on. They look like little bugs on the rocks, but are always hiding. I see a couple every few days, when I get lucky.

The little 'blenny' or 'dragonet' is doing great, and is generally fun to watch.

I will take a picture tomorrow around this time and post it :) That might help!

:thanks:

The fact it is eatin prepared foods is the only reason it's not super skinny and dying. Glad you got one that's eating prepared foods but please do research a fish before you buy it. It will save a lot of time and trouble

The fact it is eatin prepared foods is the only reason it's not super skinny and dying. Glad you got one that's eating prepared foods but please do research a fish before you buy it. It will save a lot of time and trouble

Well my wife <3's this little guy, and the guy at the LFS gave me the go ahead. He told me it would be reef safe in the long run, and that it isn't too temperamental. Had I known about it being harder to keep, I would have waited a little longer, to be better prepared; but that wouldn't have changed the outcome of him landing in our tank.

He looks very happy, he's very very active, and isn't too shy at all.

I hope that's not going in with the lion in your avatar! ;)

I have always had freshwater aquariums.. until my wife and I had gotten married. We went to Florida for our honey moon, after I had gotten back, it wasn't a week or two before we started setting up the saltwater tank.

The Lion is a picture taken from the 'Mote Marine Laboratory' in Sarasota, Florida. I found him to be amazing looking, but not in the pick of the pack for my tank. :fish1:

Ok here is the photo :p sorry for the bad quality, the camera isn't the greatest, and he loves to move around!

img_2935467_0_9b83b60a609c4239446f381806472cde.jpg

+1 scooter "blenny"

Speaking of dragonets,cI saw some amazing mandarins in a 300g in Chicago this past weekend, they were huge, fat, and amazingly colorful! There were others took I didn't know there were so many variations in colors and patterns for these guys. They looked so happy, with a 60g fuge full of pods :)

Back
Top Bottom