Blue sponge and bouncin clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend got me a nice blue sponge and clams that dont stop bouncing from the sea, the Spong is not attached to rock, can it live without rock and do i have to Place it on rock or will be fine on sand, second thig is, are these clams reef safe cause they seem to move toward corals and bite polyps. Thank you

I wouldn't trust the clams as far as I could throw them...and I really mean I'd throw those clams back into the sea where they came from. The sponge will get irritated by the sand, it should be attached to rock. I hope that it wasn't exposed to air, air exposure will kill a sponge.

Yea i know that air bubbles get trapped inside sponges blocking in and outlet and it wasnt exposed to air, i got rid of the clams, they where very beautiful and colorful but naughty lol jumping all around tank, they could swim 70cm high lol landing on corals but they gone now. Thank you tho

Knuckles said:
Yea i know that air bubbles get trapped inside sponges blocking in and outlet and it wasnt exposed to air, i got rid of the clams, they where very beautiful and colorful but naughty lol jumping all around tank, they could swim 70cm high lol landing on corals but they gone now. Thank you tho

Are you sure you had clams or scallops , I have had a clam for over a month now and the only direction he has tracked is down, and that is if he fell off the rock, even now that he is stuck to the rock he has never moved. Scallops on the other hand can swim around the tank, this I know an have witnessed.

I think more like scallop they were orange red with hairy mouth and another cover inside the mouth almost as a clam also keep blowing water all the time and they swim and jump lol

Knuckles said:
I think more like scallop they were orange red with hairy mouth and another cover inside the mouth almost as a clam also keep blowing water all the time and they swim and jump lol

That's a scallop , they will move until they find a spot they like , just the way they are, just looking for a low flow area since they are filter feeders looking for phyto to munch on.

Back
Top Bottom