brain coral???????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello every one!!!!!!!!!!1 today i got a call from one of my lfs and they said that i was one of the winners from their contest and i won really good discounts on few things so i got food for my fish both sw and fw and o got this coral for 5 us dollars i think is a brain coral but im not too sure bout it, the guy was new and wasnt sure either but it was 5 bucks so i coulnt let it go and this is the pic of it so my question is is it a brain coral???????? i think it is but im not sure, and also what kind is it???????? thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

Thanks for your help again, i actually have done alot of research and i found out that it looks alot like Lobophyllia but its only green and it has tentacles that extend at night, can coral carry ich??? i mean i know they wont get sick with ich but can it bring ich in to the tank ???????????

I`m not seeing it as a lobo unless there`s something I`m not seeing. Lobo`s look like this one (I know different color though).

100_0817.JPG

you were right i been looking at them and it does looked like the second one just completely green, also was it a bad idea to put him there when my tank is fishless due to ick??? the lfs thank is a coral tank only no fish wat soever

the ich cannot live in the tank without fish, so even if you added the coral, the ich will eventually die because it has no host to live on. If anything, you could have introduced more to the tank, but if it was a coral only tank, chances are you didnt...

yeah i was kind of worried cuz right now im halfway done with my fishless tank due to ich, and i coulnt let the coral go because i wanted to get it right b4 the tank got sick but it was 40 bucks and i only paid 5 bucks for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assuming you didn't dump the LFS water that was in the bag with the coral into your tank, the odds of getting ich coming in with your coral are pretty slim. Normal drip acclimation process will dilute the LFS water a fair bit to start with, and then when you transfer the coral you should try and leave behind as much water as possible. Even so, I suppose it *is* possible for ich to come in with the water, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

wat i did was: i acclimated the coral by first floating it then i did the drip method and then before i put him in the tank i rinsed it wit water from the dt, also whats the best way to do the drip acclimation thingy?????????? i dont think is bad but, is it bad to use the same fish net for my sw and fw tanks?????

Is drip acclimation important for corals? I have never done more than temperature acclimate my corals and never had a problem. I use drip for my fish and inverts (non corals).
Matt

I dont drip my corals. I just float the bag and then put it in the tank. I agree more important for inverts and fish.

oh ok i usually just float them but i was being extra carefull due to the fishless tank due to ich, which one do u think is better drip or float with addig water to the tank to new fish? and why?

I drip all my corals, but I also realize that all my LFSs just take them out of the bag and put them in the tank (after temperature acclimation.) I've never had issues with dripping, so I've never done anything else. The only possible problem with a drip is keeping the temperature from dropping too quick. But I normally do the drip fairly fast - no longer than 30 minutes - and keep an eye on the temp.

I don't quarantine my corals, so I use the drip time as a time to see if there's anything foreign on the coral/rock (algae, flatworms, tiny snails, etc) that I didn't see before so I can remove it before putting it in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom