Brain coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy S.

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted this up once before but didn't get a good ID because of the poor position. I got this piece as a hitchhiker on a piece of LR. What exactly is it?

It's in the background of the first picture sorta.

Second picture is top down view

Attachments

• image-614720619.jpg
    image-614720619.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image-547927383.jpg
    image-547927383.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 141
Zoomed in

I'm mostly wondering which type of brain coral it is.

Attachments

• image-1688158293.jpg
    image-1688158293.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 151
Can I get someone to agree that this is Trachyphyllia geoffroyi?

Looks like a lobo brain to me. The open brains have a orbital looking skeleton when deflated( at least mine does) and crimps in the middle with its flesh. This looks to have a lobed skeleton.

Hmm alright ill have to get some pictures of it closed up then. Pretty nice for a LR hitchhiker lol

Looks like a branching Lobophilia. Sadly, in the close up, it looks pretty close to being dead.

I had moved some stuff around In the tank so it shrank up. It's doing better than I was, but I'm just trying to see if I can get it to grow. Here's how it looked a few months ago.

Attachments

• image-3774994644.jpg
    image-3774994644.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 104
Wow, it def looks better now, than in that pic. It just looked really deflated.
That's a great piece to get as a hitchiker!
Hope you have continued success with it.

I remember when you posted that back a couple months ago!! It is really looking better! You're definitely doin something right!! Good job!! :)

I remember when you posted that a couple months ago! It is really looking a lot better!! Great job rehabbing it!! :)

Lol thank you! I'm excited that the little fella is doings good.

Back
Top Bottom