Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

bristle worm

hello all,im just wondering if any 1 has any GOOD advice on ridding my tank of bristle worm.i recently purchased a large amount of live rock and i seem 2 have aquired some unwanted guests.so if any 1 can help i would be very greatfull,i work in a aquatics shop and have tried the standard trap and it didnt work

Old 07-14-2003, 06:38 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Any reason your wanting to get rid of them? Are they jumbo sized? Quite frankly I enjoy having them in my tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have them and find them to be way cool. Really fun to watch.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:42 PM   #4

i understand they can be distructive towards corals as they get bigger,and ive read they grow and breed astoundingly quick.besides my mandarin didnt seem to like it when she attacked 1 lol.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, that is weird, I have never heard that...Can you scoop them all up and send them to me? I would love them
Old 07-14-2003, 06:46 PM   #6

if i could catch em i would m8.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

they sell traps.... cylindrical with doors on the end attached to fishing line...
Old 07-14-2003, 08:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
if i could catch em i would m8.
dont understand? mate?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The common bristleworm is a detrovore. Basicly they eat dead flesh and fish waste. Some rare bristleworms can attack corals but they are rare in the aquarium. Yes some can get quite large and could become a hazard (maybe). But the common small bristleworm is of no real harm in my book.

Some will clame they attack fish or eat healthy corals. The issue is people never see them attack the live fish. They just see the fish dead in the tank and brislteworms all around. Well that same logic would tell you that buzzards kill animals but the truth is they just clean up after its dead. Same with the worms. They get a bad wrap for being so much of a "jonny on the spot" when it comes to dead flesh.

When it comes to them eating corals well sometimes its hard to tell a healthy coral from one that is slowly dieing from the inside out. Same holds true with clams.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Some will clame they attack fish or eat healthy corals. The issue is people never see them attack the live fish. They just see the fish dead in the tank and brislteworms all around. Well that same logic would tell you that buzzards kill animals but the truth is they just clean up after its dead. Same with the worms. They get a bad wrap for being so much of a "jonny on the spot" when it comes to dead flesh.
This is the same with crabs, whenever something is dead, they are gonna grub out, but to be honest that is what they are there for

Tags
worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com