Bristle Worm Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schgred

Aquarium Advice Activist
Great subject I know!

I just happened to see this slowly moving out of the hole in this rock. I had bristle worms in this rock before I cured it but I thought they all died off. I haven't seen any bristle worm so it could in fact be something totally different.

Any idea what this tube like thing is? I literally saw it slowly come out of the rock.

How fun it is to find stuff that I cant identify and didn't know was in the tank!

Attachments

• image-614617750.jpg
    image-614617750.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 196
  • image-794457797.jpg
    image-794457797.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 185
I should also say that there aren't any fish in the tank yet.

There is more there today. Probably just as much. It blows off the rock really easily. No ideas?

It's excrement. Where it came from is anyone's guess. Since you don't have fish yet worn would be a likely culprit. Don't know what else to tell you. You pretty much answered it yourself.

It just seems hard to believe that that much excrement would be produced by a worm. Seems that it would be a really big worm.

It's possible that there is some other cryptic hitch hiker in your tank that is responsible. Hard to say what to could be though without any other evidence. I've never encountered anything like it.

Well I finally saw the bugger. It's definitely not a bristle worm. It is some sort of tube worm. It only comes out at night and is very sensitive to light. As soon as I shine a light on him he retracts into his hole. I am assuming he is at the very least a couple inches because he came out about an inch. From how he looked (no way to get a picture) he is possibly a vermatid snail or peanut worm. I'm guessing peanut worm.

Back
Top Bottom