BRISTLE WOrMS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj5z25

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today i noticed that there is quiet a few worms looking similar to cetipedes in my tank. They are all about 1-2 inches long and hide in my rocks. Are these bristle worms, are they bad? If so what can they do to hurt my tank. How do i get rid of them!? TIA\

A picture would help to identify the beasties. :) But, in general, bristle worm are harmless and very useful in cleaning the tank of detritus. If they get too large, like over 12 inches long, them you have to decide if you want to keep them. HTH

8)

I agree it sounds like bristleworms and that they are more beneficial than hazardous. You do hear of a worm gone bad from time to time but those are few and far between.

I have them and I think most tanks do, just remove some if they get too numerous. I've read that they are actually essential to the reef environment, so I leave most alone unless they are large.

Get yourself a CBS, he will feed off them and hopefully theres plenty for him to where you could have the benefits of the worms without them getting out of control, and plenty of food supply to the coolest shrimp around.

could a bristle worm eat a goby. I have seen a couple of these red centipede looking things too.

Bristle Worms

Gee I got this bristle worm in my tank about 7 to 8 inches longgggg. How can I remove it from my tank, I heard it sting and you can't use your hand to remove it also it is quick. Everytime I switch on the light it run hiding like hell... Please help!!!

Why do you want to remove it weekf? IMO it's not necessary. I leave them alone in my tank. If you really feel the need to remove it, there are bristleworm traps you can buy.

Hi Fluffs,

I just set up my tank 2 weeks ago and it is only a very small 4.9gal/18.5 litres tank and that worm looks huge in the tank and it is ugly. Any idea what type of trap can I buy or made it myself??? Thanks in advance.

I've read about people catching them just using nylons. I'm not sure how that works though. I would guess you just place a piece of food inside and when the worm goes in to clean it up, it's bristles get caught up in the nylon. There is also a DIY trap that's made from a plastic bottle. You cut the top off and invert it, then place the bait inside. Here in the states, you can buy bristleworm traps at almost any store who sell sw stock. Not sure how many of them ship to Australia but here are a few for you.

http://www.ah-supply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=623

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=04-2311

Oh, here is a link I came across to build a trap from a plastic bottle. (toward the bottom of the page)

http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/0697/0697_2.html

HTH

Hi Fluffs,

Actually I don't mind leaving the bristle worm stay in my tank, but when it came out at night it start making slimy stuffs like spider web or something all over my LR. Any idea what that slimy stuffs is? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom