Brittle Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have a website where I can look up information about brittle stars?

I think I have one!! He/She doesnt like to show his face much so i cant get a picture!!

Are these stars a good thing to have around? or no

TIA,
Ant

Yep, brittles are good to have. I'm assuming you are talking about a hitchhiker. They are common on liverock and sometimes only show the tips of their tentacles sticking out of the liverock. They are great for keeping left over food cleaned up in the tank and are harmless.
I used to have some pics but my computer crashed and now all my pics are on one of a ton of disk that in the fury of trying to save stuff, never got labelled. :oops:

okay good!! do they ever come out? or mostly stay under the rock? I saw it once and it climbed my glass all the way to the top and then floated back down and scurried under my base rock. I havent seen it since...I Kinda want a picture of him...

I easily have over a dozen brittle stars that arrived as hitchhickers. I have yet to see one out in the open. Most of them do not even appear to relocate.

I also have 2 brittles that came on my lr..along with a clam, bristleworm, and many many pods snails worms you name it. If you turn your lights on at night you can see them more out in the open. Mine stay in one crevice in the lr all the time, showing themselves occasionally. Also mine are an almost shiny blue. Very pretty.

I too have about 20 small brittle stars in my tank that came as hitchhikers. I saw one of them out of the rock, after unwrapping it after shipping from my LFS (missing an arm, too!) but it quickly climbed in a crevice, and it's not been out since. They are definitley good. Mine come out everytime I feed it seems, and whenever I turkey baste a few rocks by them.

Definitley cool. 8)

Back
Top Bottom