Brown stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GSXRDan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this brown stuff on the bottom of my tank for a while. When I do a water change it gets sucked up but comes back pretty quickly. I have 0 nitrates when I test and I only feed once a day and within 10 minutes its all eaten. Whats up?
img_373159_0_35f07bcc4d0b745bc078f24a8741e1c4.jpg

Looks like diatoms. Is your tank less than 3 months or so old? If so it's probably diatoms and they will go away as your tank ages.

I second the diatoms. As with most brown algaes they are caused by silicates. As Kat said they will burn off on there own. It is possible that you are adding silicates with your source water. What type of water are you using?

My tank has been up since about November 04 and I use RO/DI water so I don't know what the ssource could be

brown stuff

I have this same stuff in my tank. It was already set up for about a year before we got it and we used the original owner's water, also we use RO water for top offs and changes. Should I also expect this will go away? We tried sifoning it out but we lose some of our sand that way and it takes too much water out trying to collect all the brown stuff. I would love to hear more about this subject!

If you are using RO/DI water filters then it may be time to change the DI filter as this will allow silicates to pass. The diatoms will burn out on their own but if you are adding more silicates with the new water it wont get better

For now we have been buying the ro water from the lfs. Should I assume that's where it's coming from? We are looking into installing a system at home soon. Maybe it should be soon-er?!

You can buy a silicate test kit and check the water purchased before adding it to the tank. Or just talk to the LFS and have them check the filters.

That depends on the condition of the water before filtering. Check the water going in and the water coming out to see.

Back
Top Bottom